Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt or LMT? That is the question, for me.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You could just shoot the gun and see how it works before unloading it and getting another gun you’ll find some niggle about that you don’t like.

Feedback Score
    Stop trying to make people feel bad for you: you have a Colt M4A1 clone.. I have Colts and there is nigh a better factory made boomstick for real world use. Yes LMT is more expensive and it's finished nicer, but is it really going to save you in a gunfight or make you lose sleep at night because a Colt is unreliable?

From the sounds of things, you should probably stop worrying about attaining a better AR and start educating yourself on how to use it. Applied science.

I took a factory armorer's course years ago and have built many AR's and helped others fix everything you can imagine including the latest do-dads and upgrades. Most of it is junk. I go to shoots and everyone is kitted up like some tier one commando and carrying $3K worth of gun and they can't point shoot a group smaller than a playing card at five feet.

My advice as former military with applied science is to keep the Colt: restore it to stock, minus a pistol grip and extra power carbine spring from Sprinco. Run it wet. I use biolube: FrogLube and Otis BioCLP both work very well. Yes even at -20 here in Maine: I have tested it. I'm hoping for a -30 this year but who knows. I shot my SPR this past winter a good deal on ice: it was invigorating..

I don't recommend you build your own without education, but it's not rocket science: despite some subtle nuances that will land you in trouble down the road. You can source your parts and I'm really impressed with SOLGW if you need a lower and parts. There are many good parts, but Colt and FNH are also good if you can source them or any military supplier of miltech parts.

Most third party components are trash keep that in mind: there are some good ones and for the most part they are actively used by our forces. Your Colt will be worth big money someday if you don't shoot it. If you want an LMT save up. You should always have at least two or three of the same gun setup the same way you train. If one breaks you have a backup, and you have probably heart about the rule of three's. Charlie's is cool for sourcing hard to find parts, and he has the best parts, but very expensive. Specialized Armament is the same but Ken is the real deal when it comes to making Colt's better. Ken knows how the bean counters have effected a Colt and he has found solutions. And I will say aside from a few inexpensive mods, later model Colt is ready to go out of the box. Once you bubbasmith something you really never know: so seek a quality class or find someone who has experience, or pay a reputable professional.

Buy a used Colt Defense or new SOLGW if you are on a budget: can't go wrong and will have enough money for ammo, mags, and training. I have heard great things about SOLGW guns and have been using their parts for a while. You don't need the SOCOM barrel: despite them being tack drivers. If you want the pinnacle of Stoner tech get a KAC or HK416, if you want the best proven Stoner get a Colt Defense/FNH. The grass is always greener on the other side.

There's no such thing as one AR.. I have seen it again and again over the years: successful guys loading the safe with LMT's, KAC's, Novesks, and other exotics and in the end they get a 6920 and kit it out and have it as their one single SHTF gun.. You need a backup realistically: they would all be better served buying two 6920's kitting them out and saving the thousands on all the exotics that will never be out to practical use. Hey if you want to collect, go for it, buy new never shoot it, coat them in preservative and let them appreciate. But don't fool yourself, if you don;t trian with it, you might as well keep it in the safe. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I guess I am just confused. Did OP mention WHICH LMT he wanted? There is a stark difference between their models, as an MRP is another animal compared to an SP/Defender AR. Until the OP states, unless I missed it, which model he wants, isn't this just a "Colt vs LMT" thread that should have been locked.

Feedback Score
    What is a Colt lower selling for these days? (not asking price, I can see that on any gun sales site) asking price is anywhere from $650 to $1000, sometimes higher.

I have a few w consecutive serial numbers CR20*****

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    I guess I am just confused. Did OP mention WHICH LMT he wanted? There is a stark difference between their models, as an MRP is another animal compared to an SP/Defender AR. Until the OP states, unless I missed it, which model he wants, isn't this just a "Colt vs LMT" thread that should have been locked.
    I'm considering the CQB or LM8 (MRP with MARS lower on each of them).

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Blackout View Post
    What is a Colt lower selling for these days? (not asking price, I can see that on any gun sales site) asking price is anywhere from $650 to $1000, sometimes higher.

Thanks
    I sold a Colt lower sans trigger (previously sold for $40) and stock for $315 a week or so ago. That’s about what a BCM would be on sale. Overall, I’m not sure anyone is being desperate for Colt, and that’s OK. No need to price gouge.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    But, that also is about what a stripped MARS lower, LPK, and buffer assembly would have cost, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    But, that also is about what a stripped MARS lower, LPK, and buffer assembly would have cost, too.
    Well you only need a trigger, trigger guard, and safety detent and spring from a LPK for a MARS lower. I factored that into justifying the cost of said lower before buying. They were on sale last month which made it easier to justify ....
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Blackout View Post

Thanks

You can search gunbroker for completed auctions only and see what the final actual bid was on items. FYI.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Well you only need a trigger, trigger guard, and safety detent and spring from a LPK for a MARS lower. I factored that into justifying the cost of said lower before buying. They were on sale last month which made it easier to justify ....
    Also your buffer retaining pin and spring, as I recall.
    I also grabbed a second one last month. Too good to pass up.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast