Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Super 42 buffer spring with what bcg?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    I'm sorry but you're trying to justify your reasoning. 1k rounds is like taking a car for a test drive down your driveway and back.

The spring diameter is different, buffers are designed to LOCK into the springs on the shoulder of the buffer, not be free floating outside the spring/ shoulder of buffer as they arnt truly squared up on BCG impact

Buffer weight has nothing to do with this besides not wanting to pay $12 for a weight, so you've delegated yourself to using spare parts ignoring the warning.

You can also buy 1 tire completely different than your other 3 and it will give you your desired result. If you actually use the vehicle under weight or speed, it could be disasterous.

It works for you, then great! I think it's more of trying to convince others what "works for you" shouldn't be given as advise to ignore a manufactures warning.

I'm done now with this subject, it's become petty... people will do whatever they feel is right for them, not what is right for all. Happy shooting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    He isn't justifying anything, merely pointing out that Geissele(like other brands) suggests having a gunsmith install parts which is something near no one does. Do you think Geissele has a separate manufacturing line for their rifle length springs vs their carbine springs?

And no, the spring diameters are NOT DIFFERENT. I've measured two Geissele 42 springs and a half dozen other milspec/generic springs, all measure the same 0.93" in diameter. As for the buffers, a milspec or "other than Geissele" buffer is 0.025" larger in diameter at the shoulder where the spring seats. So by your theory a non Geissele buffer would secure the spring with more tension than the stock buffer. Not to mention once the spring is seated against the shoulder and installed, there is always positive pressure from the spring against the buffer, it can't move..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    He isn't justifying anything, merely pointing out that Geissele(like other brands) suggests having a gunsmith install parts which is something near no one does. Do you think Geissele has a separate manufacturing line for their rifle length springs vs their carbine springs?

And no, the spring diameters are NOT DIFFERENT. I've measured two Geissele 42 springs and a half dozen other milspec/generic springs, all measure the same 0.93" in diameter. As for the buffers, a milspec or "other than Geissele" buffer is 0.025" larger in diameter at the shoulder where the spring seats. So by your theory a non Geissele buffer would secure the spring with more tension than the stock buffer. Not to mention once the spring is seated against the shoulder and installed, there is always positive pressure from the spring against the buffer, it can't move..
    "The reason the spring and buffer are sold together is that the ID (internal diameter) of the spring is somewhat smaller than a standard spring. While it will still fit over your standard buffer with a little effort, the spring would bulge out and create interference with the buffer tube which would cause it to drag. Our buffer is turned down on the diameter that the spring rests on to alleviate this problem."

There ya go.. The buffer is designed to lock into the spring so it stays square to the BCG on impact. If your buffer is free dangling outside of the spring, it's not squared up to your BCG which is even worse. If you've forced the spring around a standard buffer, you're creating drag from spring bulge. Both options are creating insufficient use of its intended design and eventually cause damage.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "The reason the spring and buffer are sold together is that the ID (internal diameter) of the spring is somewhat smaller than a standard spring. While it will still fit over your standard buffer with a little effort, the spring would bulge out and create interference with the buffer tube which would cause it to drag. Our buffer is turned down on the diameter that the spring rests on to alleviate this problem."

There ya go.. The buffer is designed to lock into the spring so it stays square to the BCG on impact. If your buffer is free dangling outside of the spring, it's not squared up to your BCG which is even worse. If you've forced the spring around a standard buffer, you're creating drag from spring bulge. Both options are creating insufficient use of its intended design and eventually cause damage.

Nope, sorry. The geissele buffer differs from a standard buffer only at the shoulder. The geissele shoulder is 0.025" or 25 thousands of an inch narrower than a standard buffer. That's 6 sheets of paper.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nope, sorry. The geissele buffer differs from a standard buffer only at the shoulder. The geissele shoulder is 0.025" or 25 thousands of an inch narrower than a standard buffer. That's 6 sheets of paper.
    i appreciate your measuring skills but this is now hurting my brain.

So you are saying that the inner diameter of the super 42 springs is NOT smaller than a standard mil spec spring even though Geissele specifically states this and clearly self measurable? Im talking about THE SPRING. The giessele buffer is specifically turned down at the shoulder to fit the smaller INNER DIAMETER of the spring. I'm not sure how you are not getting this. The outter diameter is the same as a mil spec spring as to keep congruence with milspec tubes- the inner diameter is NOT. That is why a standard buffer doesn't fit. Seriously now... if they have to turn down the shoulder on their buffer, it's because it has to be able to fit the smaller inner diameter of the spring. The outside diameter is the same as a standard spring. If you force a regular buffer into the smaller inner diameter spring, you will have spring bulge around the buffer. Even if its 5 sheets of paper more, that creates drag in the buffer tube. You must have the buffer dangling in front not locked in ..which is probably worse.

Last edited by SilentRecon; 12-19-19 at 22:25.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    REEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i appreciate your measuring skills but this is now hurting my brain.

So you are saying that the inner diameter of the super 42 springs is NOT smaller than a standard mil spec spring even though Geissele specifically states this and clearly self measurable? Im talking about THE SPRING. The giessele buffer is specifically turned down at the shoulder to fit the smaller INNER DIAMETER of the spring. I'm not sure how you are not getting this. The outter diameter is the same as a mil spec spring as to keep congruence with milspec tubes- the inner diameter is NOT. That is why a standard buffer doesn't fit. Seriously now... if they have to turn down the shoulder on their buffer, it's because it has to be able to fit the smaller inner diameter of the spring. The outside diameter is the same as a standard spring. If you force a regular buffer into the smaller inner diameter spring, you will have spring bulge around the buffer. Even if its 5 sheets of paper more, that creates drag in the buffer tube. You must have the buffer dangling in front not locked in ..which is probably worse.

Both the Geissele spring and a standard spring measure 0.75(plus or minus 5 thousands) inside diameter. Their outside diameter is 0.930"(give or take, hard to measure a single coil). There is no difference.

With the Geissele spring on their buffer or on the Spikes ST-T2 or a milspec buffer, there is no visible spring extending beyond the outside diameter of the buffer face. The spring measured when seated on the Geissele buffer, the Spikes, and a milspec buffer, all measure out at 0.970". The Geissele buffer shoulder is a mere 25 thousands of an inch narrow than either the Spikes or a milspec buffer. I strongly doubt that difference has any effect on the buffer, spring, or receiver extension.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 12-20-19 at 13:58.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Both the Geissele spring and a standard spring measure 0.75(plus or minus 5 thousands) inside diameter. Their outside diameter is 0.930"(give or take, hard to measure a single coil). There is no difference.

With the Geissele spring on their buffer or on the Spikes ST-T2 or a milspec buffer, there is no visible spring extending beyond the outside diameter of the buffer face. The spring measured when seated on the Geissele buffer, the Spikes, and a milspec buffer, all measure out at 0.970". The Geissele buffer shoulder is a mere 25 thousands of an inch narrow than either the Spikes or a milspec buffer. I strongly doubt that difference has any effect on the buffer, spring, or receiver extension.
    You are probably right, probably makes no difference...buuuuuut

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You are probably right, probably makes no difference...buuuuuut

There is a chance that any part is out of spec. There's a chance that the sun might not come up tomorrow. The practical reality is that there's no difference, and the warning from Geissele is simply good marketing to keep customers buying their products.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345