Thread: Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention

I'm 46, and I've been suffering from recurring and sometimes debilitating pain in my right shoulder for the past six months. My shoulder got so bad that a few weeks ago the simple task of starting a chainsaw buckled me to my knees in pain. As a result, I resigned myself to the fact that I would probably have to have expensive shoulder surgery after the holidays, but then I came across some information that has led me to an alternative treatment option.

Last week I was searching YouTube for videos on shoulder pain, and in one of the videos the presenters mentioned a book by orthopedic surgeon John Kirsch, MD, titled Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention - The Exercise that Heals the Shoulder and Relieves Back Pain. In the book, Dr. Kirsch outlines the various causes of shoulder pain and a really simple exercise that can treat the vast majority of shoulder injuries. The solution that he advocates is hanging from a pull up bar - palms out - over a 15 minute period, during which you hang for 10~30 second intervals using both hands as tolerated, applying full or partial weight. The hanging exercise is immediately followed by simple weight lifting exercises using 1~8 lbs dumbbell weights.

I bought a copy of the book last week from Amazon, and started doing the exercises on Wednesday. Initially, I couldn't hang with my full body weight or for the full 30 seconds because of pain, but in less than a week I can now do both. I normally sleep on my sides, and before I started this program the pain in my shoulder would interrupt my sleep, but the last few nights I've slept pain free.

I share this information because I know that there are others out there like me who are hurting, and who also like me think that surgery may be the only option because that's what we've been led to believe.

Here are links to the book, the video that led me to the book, and Dr. Kirsch's website.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589096428..._UtW7DbAQ23WA2

https://www.kirschshoulder.com/
    Last edited by TexHill; 12-09-19 at 21:36.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    TexHill .... just found your post on shoulder pain . THANKS !!! I`ve been fighting severe right shoulder pain for about three months . Tried heat , Tiger Balm , deep tissue massage etc with zero results . Read your post and ordered the book and bought a doorway hanging bar at Walmart and started hanging last Saturday . At first I had to use my left arm to raise my right arm to a 90 degree angle just to grip a bar ...... some of the worst pain I`ve felt when I started lowering myself . Today , almost 5 days later , I`m almost fully hanging , shoulder pain is almost gone and I can sleep all night without the shoulder waking me up .

Never thought something like this would help so much . If it keeps going the way it is , it`ll really make my day .

Back on the range again , which I had to give up since I couldn`t hold the gun with my right hand/arm . Still not ready for the shotgun yet , but give me several weeks .

Feedback Score
    Also the stretch at 8:50min of this video helped with my shoulder pain. I use this stretch with the hanging stretch for pain relief.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJ8FomWC1g