Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NAS Pensacola shooting leads Navy instructor pilots to tell top brass: 'Arm us'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    If true then why NOT let them go to the Russians and backshoot them and die in fiery plane crashes over there?

I mean I’m not seeing too many downsides
    I should have also said money, big money to the industrial military monster. Boeing, Lockheed, etc. I don't know the answer but how many jobs in the USA would be lost, is the Arabs bought Russian and not American.

Look it was FDR, that put the USA on her knees to the House of Saud. He should have invaded and occupied the whole damn place, killed the whole royal family and the clerics back in the 1940's.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    A US military base outsourced their security for the base.

Let that sink in.
    I'm not going to list details here, but of the half dozen posts I have to regularly go in in the last few years are a mix.

Some do have gate access managed by contractors supported by validation systems, etc.

But police/security work on post is done by MPs or equivalant.

And some still have MPs even at the gates.

Just remember, the attacks have all been green on blue or blue on blue attacks. No one had to crash the gate from outside, which would be harder than some think.

The bigger issue and elephant in the room is the effect of a gun free zone multiple square miles in size. And the institutional blind spot towards islamic extremism as seen at Ft Hood.

Couple of more things to think about:

- There's probably some value in having perimeter security being done by people immune to mil chain of command. Remember many of the shooters have been officers. A US Army Major in one notorious case. Civil contractors could be less intimidated by brass.

- I have not ever seen a female contractor security on perimeter at a base. Where MP is fairly common for females lately.

Not saying one answer is right or the other, just that the situation is not as black-and-white as It might seem.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CESwartz07 View Post
    I live in Pensacola. I work for one of the local law enforcement agencies. I can tell you one of the problems that base faces is it is an open base. Civilians can drive in with just a peek at an ID by the security guards working the gate. It’s because of the Museum, lighthouse, and other publicly open sites at the base.
    Been a while since I've been on NAS Pensacola, but many previously open posts now require real ID compliant IDs, pictures, and other system/data checks to confirm you are who you say and that you have business on post.

Again, don't want to outline security protocols here, but I'll just say I don't consider getting in from outside low hanging fruit that it used to be.

Far bigger risk is a contractor allowed regular access or green on blue.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

- I have not ever seen a female contractor security on perimeter at a base. Where MP is fairly common for females lately.
    I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. One of two situations must exist - there is a strength/lift/carry requirement or the ladies are simply uninterested in the jobs.

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Been a while since I've been on NAS Pensacola, but many previously open posts now require real ID compliant IDs, pictures, and other system/data checks to confirm you are who you say and that you have business on post.

Again, don't want to outline security protocols here, but I'll just say I don't consider getting in from outside low hanging fruit that it used to be.

Far bigger risk is a contractor allowed regular access or green on blue.
    As of within the last few months, persons driving into the base had to show their Driver’s License, as well as the other passengers, but it was literally just a quick peek. Not enough time to actually run a check on a person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. One of two situations must exist - there is a strength/lift/carry requirement or the ladies are simply uninterested in the jobs.

Andy
    ACFT may be changing the female MP trend for the Army... MP's are now in the "significant" bucket, and will require more than the current female APFT for that MOS. Not as high as Infantry/Armor ("Heavy"), but apparently many females are fairly challenged by the gender neutral leg tuck requirement (LTK).

It used to be MP was a fairly popular MOS pick for female officer's from USMA/ROTC. That has changed some with the opening of the all the combat arms to them, but the looming ACFT expectation is starting to impact that as well.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'm not going to list details here, but of the half dozen posts I have to regularly go in in the last few years are a mix.

Some do have gate access managed by contractors supported by validation systems, etc.

But police/security work on post is done by MPs or equivalant.

And some still have MPs even at the gates.

Just remember, the attacks have all been green on blue or blue on blue attacks. No one had to crash the gate from outside, which would be harder than some think.

The bigger issue and elephant in the room is the effect of a gun free zone multiple square miles in size. And the institutional blind spot towards islamic extremism as seen at Ft Hood.

Couple of more things to think about:

- There's probably some value in having perimeter security being done by people immune to mil chain of command. Remember many of the shooters have been officers. A US Army Major in one notorious case. Civil contractors could be less intimidated by brass.

Not saying one answer is right or the other, just that the situation is not as black-and-white as It might seem.
    Most Navy bases are easy: well-armed police force at the gates (no MPs), waterways protected by TTPs we cannot get into here. AF bases have SPs and likewise pretty hardened.

Far harder to protect the perimeter security on most Army and MC bases given the expanse and inaccessibility to reach parts of the fence line.

I go back on forth about carrying on base. I think for *most* people it would be fine, but if you (not 'you' you, the royal 'you') have even been in an enlisted barracks on the weekends, NONE of those guys should have quick access to firearms. Many of them end up in Doc's office or the ED for stupid shit. Now, if the CQ or duty man can have access, I'd buy that. I think there could be a way.

Regardless, we've seen how easy it is to get 'unauthorized weapons' aboard a base. It ain't hard.
    Last edited by chuckman; 12-12-19 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    That's a mindset that can and should change.

I'm "old school" USAF. I was taught our mission, in basic terms, was to kill people and break their toys.

I feel that's something our military has forgotten outside of the combat arms.
    I was USAF '01-'11 and I feel it wasn't forgotten, it was purposely removed. The focus on safety was obsessive. Anything that would develop a wartime "edge" in anyone not expressly combat arms was discouraged.

In Europe, a few buddies and I were always at the range once a week. We felt the once a year (if that) refresher with our rifles was...insufficient. We knew we were probably going into Iraq soon (early '03), so on our own dime/time, we rented an M16 clone from the base sportsman's club and ran drills at the club range. We had no idea what lay ahead, so why not stay sharp? Our jaws hit the floor when a Sgt expressed "concern" about our range trips and said there's other ways to enjoy our down time. That Sgt's attitude wasn't unique, either.

Speaking of weapons on base, I had bought a new Sauer 202 rifle. Not allowed to remove it from the range and kept it locked up there. I went through all of the ATF paperwork to import it and before PCSing back stateside, I had to get my Flight Commander to sign off on me just to bring it to the post office to mail it home. The reaction I got from him was similar to what I'd imagine asking a UC Berkeley professor if your new CCW holster is printing would be like.

On a deployment in Iraq, word came through that they were looking for people to help pull security for something outside the wire. I wanted in, so I went to my leadership and it was flatly denied because it wouldn't be "safe". Saying it without saying it, if one of our unit members had gotten hurt, it would look bad. This was also the same leadership preaching the "warrior culture" every chance they got.

They could make everyone warriors but in my experience, it's passively or even actively discouraged at most levels.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    And you guys have only spoken about access to weapons on base... which are largely useless without ammunition which is even bigger pooch screwing to get a hold of on short notice.

If there is an armed guard, somewhere, you can bet theyve been carrying and accounting for the same tarnished old 15rds for ages

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Next question, this may seem gauche but why again are we training Saudis?

Why do we always do this? If they got money for planes then they can figure it out.
    This is from Lightfighter and puts it in one perspective (I broke it into more paragraphs, so if it reads bad it's on me):

Our security assistance relationship with every country that we cooperate with is unique. You simply can't put Ukraine (re: the current impeachment situation) in the same sentence with Saudi Arabia when discussing security assistance funds. You can't really even discuss, say, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia in the same light because we have different relationships with each country. Petroleum-rich countries like Saudi Arabia and Bahrain pay handsomely for the military equipment and training they receive with their own cash.

There is a broad combination of direct U.S. military training, contracted training directly with vendors (like Boeing), and even third country training (our allies training them on U.S. equipment, and U.S. personnel training them on foreign equipment) that goes into many of these relationships. A country might be buying equipment directly from the U.S. government while simultaneously buying more copies of the same equipment directly from the manufacturer. The manufacturer might be providing training with their sales package, while the U.S. government is simply providing equipment.

A partner country may be buying U.S. equipment with U.S. security assistance funds that we gave them, but supplementing it with some of their own money because our assistance funds don't quite cover the bill for what they need (want). In terms of training, a commercial vendor simply can't provide the same level / quality of training that foreign students can receive by studying and training alongside U.S. and other foreign students.

One of the goals of our U.S. military personnel and diplomats who are involved in security assistance relationships is to promote U.S. business / industry overseas - to encourage foreign countries to spend money on U.S. products to contribute to our economy. Our security assistance funding agreements require that foreign partners spend money that we give them on U.S. products, for that very reason.

So, if we give Country X $100 million in tax payer-provided security assistance funds, they are obligated to invest that money back into the U.S. economy by buying U.S.-made equipment. There are exceptions to that, of course, if something is only available from a foreign manufacturer, but in those cases, we will usually still require them to buy Product Y through a U.S. vendor who imports that foreign equipment on their behalf.

Obviously, we also provide money that partner countries put directly towards feeding and housing their own people, but they wouldn't be able to partner with us, use our equipment, and conduct joint exercises and/or operations with us without maintaining their own military that way. And, yes, some of the money is misused, makes its way into someone's personal bank account, etc, but we make every effort to prevent that and hold people / countries accountable when it happens.

Foreign military students do not take seats away from U.S. students, as a general rule. The U.S. military sends as many people to training as we can afford - both in terms of money and from a personnel management standpoint (taking those individuals away from the line / fleet for the length of their training). The current Army War College class has about 300 U.S. students (from all services) and about 75 international students. The U.S. military could not afford to release another 75 U.S. O-5s and O-6s to attend the course because of both the cost and the duty positions that would be unfilled while those 75 additional officers attended school. I would almost guarantee that the aviation course that this attacker was attending is maxed out in terms of the number of U.S. students that we can afford to send.

Foreign students that attend U.S. training are funded in a couple ways. Many (but probably less than half) are paid for by their own countries - housing, per diem, travel, etc. - because their countries can afford it and see the value in receiving high-quality U.S. training / education. A large number of them are paid for through the U.S. International Military Education and Training (IMET) program, which allocates assistance funds to partner countries for the express purpose of sending their military personnel to U.S. schools. We see this as an investment in future relationships with those students and their countries.

Looking at the Army War College again as an example, nearly all of the international students who attend the school are the lone representative from their country for that academic year. That means out of all the colonels in their military (whether that total is 10 or 100), they were selected as the best candidate, or maybe top 2 or 3, out of all their peers. A large percentage of them go on to hold very high level positions in their countries, including the Chief of Staff or equivalent of their military service. Some of them will continue on to become senior political leaders after their military careers. We see those as extremely valuable contacts that we can turn to in a crisis, or even in just our day-to-day interactions with that foreign country.

Looking at our current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, GEN Mark Milley, as an example, he is a graduate of the U.S. Naval War College. You can bet that his staff has a list of what foreign military leaders also attended that school, and who he personally knew from his class, so he can call them up and renew that personal connection. It's common for senior U.S. military leaders to run into people they know from school while partnering with other countries overseas, and that creates an instant connection and sense of trust. We see that as a worthwhile investment in our future security relationships.

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of The Accidental Superpower: The Next Generation of American Preeminence and the Coming Global Disorder, by Peter Zeihan, and I just started his follow-on book, The Absent Superpower: The Shale Revolution and a World Without America. Both of these books describe how the U.S. shaped the global order after World War II, in large part by using our military power to secure free trade among all of our allies around the world. I'm oversimplifying, but U.S. military dominance helped ensure that the dollar became the global currency and our economy became the largest and strongest in the world, by far. In many cases, we provided security in parts of the world that didn't directly benefit us, but it helped our allies maintain access to the resources they needed and thereby continued to strengthen our own economy through their trade relationships with us.

The premise of Zeihan's books is that that world order is changing, and the U.S. will no longer have as strong an interest in continuing to play that role, but for the time being, we continue to put effort into maintaining relationships, and order, around the world because it benefits the collective security and economic environment that we share with our allies. Again, oversimplifying things, but as an example, if we break off our relationship with the Saudis, we lose influence over how they interact with Turkey, and Turkey's involvement in Syria. A loss of influence in the Turkey / Syria conflict leads to greater European concerns over what role Turkey is going to play in NATO and the European community, our European allies' economies begin to falter, and the cascading effect begins to impact our own economy at home.

OK, I think that was long-winded enough, and barely scratches the surface, but... it's complicated.

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/n...-thread?page=2
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast