Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloud Defensive OWL

Feedback Score

Cloud Defensive OWL

Anybody using one? thoughts?

I need a light for a 14.7" carbine. The OWL is on my short list.

Thanks, Shane

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have one, and have been using it for about 6 months. I had the chance to try it out alongside a variety of lights like the modlite (we had several heads with different temps in the OKW and PLH). The OWL holds its own very well against the best competition in the market. I really like the all-in-one concept, and it works very well. The downsides are weight (it is super durable, but also very heavy, especially for something near the end of the gun), and in that regard the modlite offerings are more appealing. Also, I don't know if there is something wrong with mine, but the pressure pad on my OWL, in short, is terrible. I have several surefire and streamlight pressure pads and they all outclass the OWL pad by a large margin. I won't lie, I have been disappointed with how poor it is, especially considering the high price tag. That being said, I still have it, and it is on the rifle I shoot the most which I guess is saying something. After actually using it, if I could go back in time I would put the money into a modlite instead.

Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks for the good (honest) feedback.

I'm curious if anyone else can share how the pressure pad works on theirs.

I saw a YouTube vid by Mrgunsngear, but didn't recall any commentary about the pressure switch.

I noted the weight, and honestly that isn't a deal-breaker for me. But, for the price, I would expect it to function perfectly.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Dont have any issues with my pressure pads, I have two OWLs. They do offer incredible light and the color/hue of the light is piercing and seems to offer more depth perception and contrast and I have the others listed above to compare it to. The light has the ability to slice through glass/windows with great clarity and no reflection even at longer distances ie room windows and windshields.

I ran the Modlite OKW on a LPVO in a low light/No light class and felt the guys running the OWL had better performance at distance to the point I was actually aiming of their light vs mine. That being said there is something special about that OKW head in that it is a light saber however it is color and brighter in color and it for that reason I felt the OWL had a slight plus in its performance. OWL also has a larger head and reflector giving more spill making it better for general use and CQB in my opinion. I believe it is nicely paired with the Cloud rails where the light is allowed to sit lower especially in a shorter or SBR application. Unfortunately for now there is only the 10" rail.

Some negatives to the OWL to consider if negatives. Doesn't work well with IR Lasers and you cant use the standard 18650 battery. Standard 18650 batteries have built in circuit protection and the circuit protection in the OWL is built into the head assembly therefore requiring and unprotected cell which is slight shorter in length. Its not like the batteries are expensive just different from the norm with SF and Modlite and yet another battery.

If cost is a concern probably some better all around options but I am happy with mine for the rifles they are on.

Feedback Score
    The OWL lacks forward mounting options extending beyond the rail.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Good info all, I appreciate it.

I'm already in the 18650 game, but the circuit protected cell. I'm using them in a Zebralight headlamp. I was kind of hoping batteries would be interchangeable, but looks like that's not the case. I could still live with that, looks like the OWL ships with two 18650s, that fit it.

The price is high, but I'm willing to pay it, if the light will do what I want/need ( durable, simple, bright, long throw, 100% in all weather, summer to deep winter). The carbine it will go on is a 'bump in the night' gun. Also since we live on a small acreage in rural MT, I want to be able to light up a bit of distance outside in needed. At the moment the carbine has a Primary Arms 1X prism sight. That could be changed out if needed. I'm hoping the OWL at the front of the float tube would not interfere with the sight picture enough to be a problem.
    Last edited by MontanaMarine; 12-11-19 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    This is the carbine I need a light for.

I'd put the OWL all the way forward on the rail, thinking that should put the light bezel an inch or two behind the muzzle device. Shadowing shouldn't be too bad.

Upper is a PSA FN CHF 14.7 pinned/welded. 5.56, 1/7. I've had it a couple years, ran it with different optics, LPVO, 5X prism, 2.5-8x36 Leupold. It runs well.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I see no problems mounting to your set up. Shadowing will not be an issue at all seeing the light will be placed above the barrel. I would not mount the light all the way forward on that rail. I would mount it just forward of your vert grip so your thumb can easily activate the pressure pad with your natural firing grip. You shouldn't have to change your grip to activate your light.

Feedback Score
    I just recently bought an OWL, thanks to the black friday thread. At $287 shipped it was a substantial cost savings compared to the Dual Fuel, tape switch and mount. I don't run NODs so I wasn't concerned about the compatibility with IR devices.

I have yet to really go out and run it but my initial impressions are good. The beam pattern is tight and bright. This thing has some serious throw to it. Haven't done any actual testing per se, but the data out there now seems really accurate just comparing it to my SFs.

Cons:
    I don't think the pressure pad is as positive as the SF however, it is such a big area, you can't miss it. Feeling it again now, it definitely isn't as positive.

This thing is BIG. Much bigger than I expected when comparing to the scout lights. It takes up so serious rail space, depending on how you mount your sling, it could be in the way but that would be a funky set up, plus you can easily set it up for either side.

Batteries included are Samsung and it comes with a high output and a long lasting one along with a really nice Nitecore charger. As noted, its annoying having different 18650s but these are like $5 we each compared to around $18-20. I mean that shouldn't be a reason not to get it, but can be a tipping factor if you're heavily invested in one system already.

All in all I still have a lot to do before I make a final decision but knowing what I know right now, it's an amazing light and wouldn't hesitate to recommend with the caveat that I have not seen a modlite in person. To me the OWL represents the "easy button" with no additional stuff required to purchase along with it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone.

Amazing the choices we have today. Doesn't seem so long ago, we were using riggers tape, to tape a MiniMag Maglite to our handguards. That little light only threw about 15 lumens or something like that.....and we thought it was 'high speed'. The good old days.....grin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast