Quote Originally Posted by Budget View Post
I just recently bought an OWL, thanks to the black friday thread. At $287 shipped it was a substantial cost savings compared to the Dual Fuel, tape switch and mount. I don't run NODs so I wasn't concerned about the compatibility with IR devices.

I have yet to really go out and run it but my initial impressions are good. The beam pattern is tight and bright. This thing has some serious throw to it. Haven't done any actual testing per se, but the data out there now seems really accurate just comparing it to my SFs.

Cons:
I don't think the pressure pad is as positive as the SF however, it is such a big area, you can't miss it. Feeling it again now, it definitely isn't as positive.

This thing is BIG. Much bigger than I expected when comparing to the scout lights. It takes up so serious rail space, depending on how you mount your sling, it could be in the way but that would be a funky set up, plus you can easily set it up for either side.

Batteries included are Samsung and it comes with a high output and a long lasting one along with a really nice Nitecore charger. As noted, its annoying having different 18650s but these are like $5 we each compared to around $18-20. I mean that shouldn't be a reason not to get it, but can be a tipping factor if you're heavily invested in one system already.

All in all I still have a lot to do before I make a final decision but knowing what I know right now, it's an amazing light and wouldn't hesitate to recommend with the caveat that I have not seen a modlite in person. To me the OWL represents the "easy button" with no additional stuff required to purchase along with it.
This pretty much sums it up. I was getting overwhelmed trying to figure out a modlite/Surefire setup. The owl is less $, supposedly more durable, no extras required, affordable batteries, no wires or separate pad, no awkward positions trying to hit the tail cap button, no mounts to figure out, easily ambidextrous.

I have it mounted on a 11.5 pistol. Doesn’t feel too obnoxiously heavy. Mount on a 16” carbine and it would get heavy. I plan to get more for the back up rigs, cause you know, one is none and two is one. Even before Black Friday, I was tempted with sale prices closer to the $300 point.