Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloud Defensive OWL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Budget View Post
    I just recently bought an OWL, thanks to the black friday thread. At $287 shipped it was a substantial cost savings compared to the Dual Fuel, tape switch and mount. I don't run NODs so I wasn't concerned about the compatibility with IR devices.

I have yet to really go out and run it but my initial impressions are good. The beam pattern is tight and bright. This thing has some serious throw to it. Haven't done any actual testing per se, but the data out there now seems really accurate just comparing it to my SFs.

Cons:
    I don't think the pressure pad is as positive as the SF however, it is such a big area, you can't miss it. Feeling it again now, it definitely isn't as positive.

This thing is BIG. Much bigger than I expected when comparing to the scout lights. It takes up so serious rail space, depending on how you mount your sling, it could be in the way but that would be a funky set up, plus you can easily set it up for either side.

Batteries included are Samsung and it comes with a high output and a long lasting one along with a really nice Nitecore charger. As noted, its annoying having different 18650s but these are like $5 we each compared to around $18-20. I mean that shouldn't be a reason not to get it, but can be a tipping factor if you're heavily invested in one system already.

All in all I still have a lot to do before I make a final decision but knowing what I know right now, it's an amazing light and wouldn't hesitate to recommend with the caveat that I have not seen a modlite in person. To me the OWL represents the "easy button" with no additional stuff required to purchase along with it.
    This pretty much sums it up. I was getting overwhelmed trying to figure out a modlite/Surefire setup. The owl is less $, supposedly more durable, no extras required, affordable batteries, no wires or separate pad, no awkward positions trying to hit the tail cap button, no mounts to figure out, easily ambidextrous.

I have it mounted on a 11.5 pistol. Doesn’t feel too obnoxiously heavy. Mount on a 16” carbine and it would get heavy. I plan to get more for the back up rigs, cause you know, one is none and two is one. Even before Black Friday, I was tempted with sale prices closer to the $300 point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    I see no problems mounting to your set up. Shadowing will not be an issue at all seeing the light will be placed above the barrel. I would not mount the light all the way forward on that rail. I would mount it just forward of your vert grip so your thumb can easily activate the pressure pad with your natural firing grip. You shouldn't have to change your grip to activate your light.
    Thanks. I'll definitely set it up to have easy reach to the switches from the front vertical grip. I don't mind moving the front grip forward a bit either. I have fairly long arms (6'3").

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    This is the carbine I need a light for.

I'd put the OWL all the way forward on the rail, thinking that should put the light bezel an inch or two behind the muzzle device. Shadowing shouldn't be too bad.

Upper is a PSA FN CHF 14.7 pinned/welded. 5.56, 1/7. I've had it a couple years, ran it with different optics, LPVO, 5X prism, 2.5-8x36 Leupold. It runs well.
    Very nice KISS setup. I know that you didn’t ask for rifle setup advice, but since I think you’ve already gotten good input on the light, I have a couple observations: vert grips are at their finest with short handguards and a 3 o’clock mounted light with tailcap switch. The further out you grip, the more natural it feels to grip the handguard itself, and the closer you grip, the more natural a vert grip feels. Assuming the same stance, since squaring up more or extending the stock makes a handguard feel longer.

Now that you’re looking into getting a light that has 12 o’clock activation, you might decide you don’t want the vert grip at all, since gripping the rail itself will make light activation easier. I use the smaller nub that comes with the Magpul handstop kit as a 6 o’clock index point, so I always know that my hand is in the right spot to activate my light. At over 6’, you might start to want a longer handguard if you start shooting this way. Or maybe, you’ll just run your buttstock a click or two further out than you were before. Whichever way helps you keep your elbows tucked.

Two cents from the peanut gallery.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    It's all good info. Between the grip type/placement, and light position, I'm sure there will be some adjustments I'll need to make.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I just recently bought an OWL, thanks to the black friday thread. At $287 shipped it was a substantial cost savings compared to the Dual Fuel, tape switch and mount.

I have yet to really go out and run it but my initial impressions are good. The beam pattern is tight and bright. This thing has some serious throw to it. Haven't done any actual testing per se, but the data out there now seems really accurate just comparing it to my SFs.
    I couldn't help myself either. Had to pick up one of their CORv1 rails to go with it for a pistol build I'm working on. I have a SF DF and a Mod Lite OKW, I've have not yet compared them but I can tell it'll definitely holds it own.

Cons:
    I don't think the pressure pad is as positive as the SF however, it is such a big area, you can't miss it. Feeling it again now, it definitely isn't as positive.

This thing is BIG. Much bigger than I expected when comparing to the scout lights. It takes up so serious rail space, depending on how you mount your sling, it could be in the way but that would be a funky set up, plus you can easily set it up for either side.
    I really like the intelligent momentary and constant on options built into the switch.

I agree, the thing is a flippin' pig compared to my SF DF let alone my diminutive Modlite OKW with a 18350 body, but I still like it. I like the reversible design and the inclusive tool on the end cap for tightening and removal.

Here's an older thread on the OWL...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ight=defensive
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    So the OWL is significantly heavier than most others. 11 oz with batteries.

In the grand scheme of things, that doesn't seem too bad in my mind. I was considering that the M9 bayonet is about 16 ounces, and further forward.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    So the OWL is significantly heavier than most others. 11 oz with batteries.

In the grand scheme of things, that doesn't seem too bad in my mind. I was considering that the M9 bayonet is about 16 ounces, and further forward.

It's a solid light IMO

Feedback Score
    Mrgunsngear, Yeah I've watched your video review a couple times. Your review put this light at the top of my list.

Thanks for all the great content you are putting out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very nice tint and hotspot definition. A lot of people overlook or don't really pay attention to that part of a light makeup. The SF pales in comparison.

Feedback Score
    I ordered an OWL today, from SWFA.

Thanks for all of the information. It helped me finalize my decision.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast