Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62x51 NATO bullet pull spen

Feedback Score

7.62x51 NATO bullet pull spen

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    OK, I'll bite...

If its 57.5lbs moved a meter (3.28 feet), then isn't that 57.5lbs x 3.28 ≈ 189 foot-pounds?
    What you’re referring to is work, rather than force.
    If you had to apply 57.5 lbs the entire time to move the bullet one meter, then yes, you would have done 189 ft-lbs of work.
    But all the previous statement mentioned was the force required to pull the bullet. And to convert from Newtons to pounds of force doesn’t consider the distance. Simply divide Newtons by 4.45 to get pounds.
    You could certainly calculate the work to pull a bullet. If the force is constant the entire distance then it would be the force x the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve Shannon; 12-14-19 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for your feedback and input.

I will look at building an inexpensive and easy device to measure (roughly) the extraction forces required for a couple of 308Win to get a roughly estimated value of different ammunitions.

Envoyé de mon LDN-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I had a contact at Olin factory and he told me a bullet pull of 300 lbs could be experienced.

Feedback Score
    The black colored bullet sealants are usually a black ashpaltic sealer. Don't ask me why I know that, I just do, for some reason. A quick internet search turned up this: http://www.hernon-ammosealing.com/
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    To my knowledge the mouth lacquer is only used on military ammo. Most commercial ammo does not have waterproofed primer sealer either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    The black colored bullet sealants are usually a black ashpaltic sealer. Don't ask me why I know that, I just do, for some reason. A quick internet search turned up this: http://www.hernon-ammosealing.com/
    I have had pulls with the asphalt sealant once. Seems like tracers that mostly ended up missing the igniter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I pull bullets from Swiss 7.5X55 GP11 ammo to make Mexican Match (drop in a Match King). The black sealant for those comes off nicely in low-odor mineral spirits (or, I'm sure, any petro-based liquid). Never tried to gage the pull but it's pretty consistent.

My best info on pull specs is from a gov't producer of 5.56 so FWIW and as best I remember it's min. 45 pounds and tested by pushing it in, not pulling it. Much easier to test and one would think it would be the same either way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I pull bullets from Swiss 7.5X55 GP11 ammo to make Mexican Match (drop in a Match King).
    How much improvement do you get with the Match King? Just about every review of K31's I can recall mentioned it was difficult to just short of impossible to beat GP11 ammo with hand loads by any significant level.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've had a lot of good groups with GP11, under an inch sometimes. This is in a Remington long action with an econo-tune by Short Action Customs (highly recommended for your bolt-gun needs). I've run it with a 20", 1/10 barrel and a 26" 1/12 barrel, both factory .308 take offs, but fresh, and reamed to 7.5X55.

But..... flyers persisted. Like, 4 into 7/8" and then one out there 2" from the others. I tried several thing. I made a tool for removing the crimp on loaded rounds. I bumped bullets back to break the seal. I checked for runout. I made small lots, each lot having one mod, and a lot having all three. None of it seemed to tame the flyers... frustrating! I considered that it could be my technique but it was no different really than anything else I do and it seems to work for other rifles. Still I tried different rests and techiques, I even wrapped a front rest in Teflon tape to get a very free slide. No real dif..... flyers persisted.

My best and definitely improved results were with Mexican match using SMK's and 178 AMaxes, simply dropped in. Have experimented with seating depth and being a long action I have a ton of room for loading long although the chamber is the limit. After a round or two of testing I must have seen something shiny and have not been back on it for a while.

But still, even with stock GP11, it's decently accurate enough to learn the art of the wind call and such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12