Thread: 6MM SAW Cartridge

Feedback Score

6MM SAW Cartridge

This is an improved 5.56 round and was quite good but no one wanted to rework it for M16

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post

This is an improved 5.56 round and was quite good but no one wanted to rework it for M16
    Somebody already has: Courtousey of Mr. Sturgeon

I highly suggest you join his forum, its far more technically oriented than M4C:

http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/

Also your papers would be a nice addition to: http://sturgeonshouse.ipbhost.com/fo...ce-discussion/

Last edited by vicious_cb; 12-15-19 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    I signed up over there but could not find anything about 6MM SAW?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This seems like a really cool round. Do you have any of the specs like bullet weight BC or velocity? I don't think it would have worked in AR15's because of the OAL length, but for a belt fed that is much less of an issue. I have always thought the 249 should be replaced by something more reliable shooting a better round.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    It was made for MGs. IIRC the bullet was 105 gr.

M249 Reliability - can't speak for the fielded guns but I was at Aberdeen when it was tested and we had an original factory gun go 25,000 without a stoppage. I was told later the Sgt. Major of the Army wanted changes and it was not retested thereafter.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Assuming the use of a belt, the 249 is more reliable than it gets credit for these days. Many examples are worn out. Many of the stoppages happen while training with blanks, which erodes the Soldier’s confidence without having a true bearing on the weapon’s reliability in real use. Additionally, said worn out guns see a lot of rounds on any given day, so stoppages appear more frequently. Many times they are lubricated incorrectly, or even not at all, because “it attracts sand” or whatever. With the version that had an adjustable gas block, it was commonly adjusted incorrectly.

Many here would be shocked, appalled by the abusive things that are done to these weapons in the interest of cleaning. Like using sandpaper blocks on the gas piston.

If you look the operating system, its similar to an upside down AK with a push through belt feed system added, so its not like its an inherently terrible design.
    Last edited by 1168; 12-17-19 at 16:21.

Feedback Score
    I was on part of the M249 test and remember we were in the cold room at 60 below zero and there were deer walking about 25 yards in front of the firing point. I loaded up and started shooting. Put the first 5 rounds about three feet over them and they raised their heads and looked around. After I figured they were not impressed I put the last 175 rounds about 12" above their backs and they just kept on grazing. We were very impressed with the ORIGINAL M249.

Yep troops do things to weapons in the field that will make you cringe.

On the M16A2 test the deer would walk out on the range between the firing position and the target and sometime behind the target and we held up so as not to shoot them. Occasionally does get hit and the gunners dress them out and take them home. Deer population at Aberdeen is massive and they are not gun shy one bit.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 12-17-19 at 16:42.