Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Confederate Sharpshooter (300CSS)

Feedback Score

300 Confederate Sharpshooter (300CSS)

Holds about 5 more grains of powder, Tapered round so it feeds fine from 30.06 mag well

308 on left
    Last edited by Humpy70; 12-14-19 at 01:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Explain everything about this round please

Feedback Score
    During the developmental phase of the M14 Rifle the first caliber it was designed for was the 300 Savage cartridge. The ammo engineers felt there wasn't enough support of the bullet in the neck and came up with 7.62 NATO which held more propellant than the 300 Savage. A gunsmith known as Speedy Gonzales designed a shortened 300 Savage and stopping the Savage chamber reamer before it cut the Savage length and it was a very good bench rest round. I forget what he called it.

I called him and we talked and I told him I was thinking about running a Savage reamer in deeper to 7.62 case length, making cases by running 308 into Savage FL die which when removed left a 308 with a shorter neck and more case taper going to the shoulder. It also held more propellant and really shoots well. Friends had a couple made and they like theirs. A lot of 30.06 actions won't feed 308 well.

Another plus if some asshole steals it he is not going to shoot it as no other round will fit in except a 300 Savage and when fired you will have a case with no case neck haha.

I had planned on shooting it in HP competition but the wreck in 2013 shot that down as it stopped my competition. I guess this rifle only has about 100 rounds on it and is loaded with 300 Savage dies.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 12-14-19 at 09:21.

Feedback Score
    I can’t help but feel that a cartridge with a name like that will never sell. .30 Sherman? .300 Lincoln? May have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearqueer View Post
    I can’t help but feel that a cartridge with a name like that will never sell. .30 Sherman? .300 Lincoln? May have a chance.

.300 Stonewall

I can find nothing else about this round (and I have a Savage .300 levergun which I love).

Feedback Score
    I also made up conversions for 303 British round called Confederate Sabres.

306 Confederate Sabre 303 head and 30.06 neck/shoulder loaded with shortened 30.06 dies
    7MM Confederate Sabre 303 head and 7 Mauser neck/shoulder loaded with 7 Mauser dies
    6.5 Confederate Sabre 303 head and loaded with 6.5X55 dies.

Should you happen to find yourself near the Royal Armouries Museum in England you can go in and see them on display in their wild cat cartridge conversions. I made up two sets of dummy cartridges at the Curator's request and one set is on display and the other set is in his personal collection.

Since I live in the Cradle of the Confederacy and have a 3X5 flying in my front yard and a Confederate Ancestor in Co A 7th Cav, 69th NC who died in a Pow Camp and a wife with 7 ancestors it is a my duty.

I also had one on the wrong side who was Sgt Co B 52nd Reg, 14th Corp OVI and I have 54 letters he wrote home to Ohio during the war that don't reflect what we were taught in school so I know the history written does not reflect the truth. I also have pics of his war diary that reflect what the letters contain. He camped within two miles of where we live when he came through area in Sherman's left column.

I have a retired State Trooper friend that lives about 30 miles from me whose ancestor was in Co A with mine.

I would have named a cartridge for some in DC but they are a already named 5.56 Blank, 7.62 Blank and 30.06 Blank

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I LOVE it. Bet it would sell like hotcakes in the CORRECT part of the country!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    .300 Lincoln? May have a chance.

Parent case for the necked up 41-300 Booth

Feedback Score
    The most famous conversion for the 303 is the 300 Epps by a guy in Canada.

I did not do that one for several reasons, money and money.

First off you have to buy the reamer which is pricey and then you have to buy the dies which are very pricey.

So I looked at the SAAMI drawings and cases with the same length that has a middle area of the case the same size or smaller diameter so I could use the factory dies (much cheaper that Epps) to form and make the cases and also load it.

So the 7MM Sabre is a 303 back end and a 7 Mauser front end and uses factory dies.

Same for the 6.5.

I also took a 303 reamer I had and had it reduced to .454 diameter (I think it was) at the bottom, then I had the throat shortened to 30.06 length. The factory 303 chamber has the bullet traveling 3/8" end or more before it starts to engrave. Thus I can take factory 303 and shoot the cases many more times as the base only expands about .002" on firing where a factory chamber it will expand maybe .008".

Did you all know Ruger made the No 3 single shot rifle in 303 British for sale in Canada?

Has anyone read he book written by Lincoln's Law Partner where he tells Lincoln's true feelings about this and that?
    Last edited by Humpy70; 12-15-19 at 07:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hadn't heard of the .303 Ruger, but have hears of the Savage Model 99D Musket in .303 Savage Canada ordered for private purchase home guard use.

Read excerpts from some of Lincoln's associates that are not used in public schools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast