Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .223 loads for small game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which .223 loads for small game?

Hey dudes,

I have like zero hunting experience, and want to go get some meat with an AR. Is there any bullet I should look for shooting rabbits and other small game? Will .223 even do this, or do I need something like 22 LR to avoid destroying the animal?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Hey dudes,

I have like zero hunting experience, and want to go get some meat with an AR. Is there any bullet I should look for shooting rabbits and other small game? Will .223 even do this, or do I need something like 22 LR to avoid destroying the animal?
    .223 is not a small game round and will destroy things like rabbits, squirrel, etc with any load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It kind of depends on the barrel/yaw, but fmjs dont seem to frag quick enough to destroy much meat.
    Or use a light varmint round and go for the head.

I would use 22lr if I had the choice for squirrel/rabbit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    It kind of depends on the barrel/yaw, but fmjs dont seem to frag quick enough to destroy much meat.
    Or use a light varmint round and go for the head.

I would use 22lr if I had the choice for squirrel/rabbit.
    Have you killed much small game with a 5.56?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Welcome to the world of hunting! With your zero experience, you will enjoy all of the adventures that await so get out there and explore. My first recommendation is to seek out a friend with hunting experience to help you with the basics. Focus on safe, fun, and ethical. Specific to your question; I would avoid the 5.56 for small game but for different reasons than mentioned thus far. My rationale is safety. Squirrels in trees, rabbits at close range on the ground, etc... all represent safety risk with a 5.56 and a .22 is much more suitable and adequately lethal. Even with a .22lr, the type of bullet design and velocity will matter regarding lethality. I would recommend using Hollowpoint ammo above 1070fps until you get more time under your belt. Have fun hunting and as you gain experience - help introduce a new person to hunting.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post

Not “much”, since - as stated, I prefer 22lr. Assuming I use a gun at all.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-16-19 at 21:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Not “much”, since - as stated, I prefer 22lr. Assuming I use a gun at all.
    If you do at some point, you’ll realize a .223, with any load, will cause too much damage to have any reasonable expectation of meat recovery.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    .223 is not a small game round and will destroy things like rabbits, squirrel, etc with any load.

Thanks for beating me to it and I'm not even a hunter. I was thinking a 55-77gr ~2700FPS bullet hitting a squirrel would absolutely obliterate it leaving wet squirrel dust in the air to settle.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Lol.

I’ve shot exactly one squirrel with a .223 using 64gr GDHP. Couldn’t find any hogs so I figured I’d roast a squirrel on the fire.

There was no more squirrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Lol.

I’ve shot exactly one squirrel with a .223 using 64gr GDHP. Couldn’t find any hogs so I figured I’d roast a squirrel on the fire.

There was no more squirrel.
    There are two methods to kill squirrels with centerfire rifles. The first is to cleanly take off their head.

The other method is called “barking” in which you shoot the tree from under or above them. Bullet fragments will act like a shotgun and kill the tree-rat. The bark they are standing on breaks off the tree and they fall straight down. This was a method of mountain men in the days of 50 caliber rifles. Believe it or not, it does work. I was on a trip hunting and wanted some fresh meat and killed one with a .35 Whelen with this method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast