Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone daily drive a Corvette?

Feedback Score

Anyone daily drive a Corvette?

Considering C6 model.

Had a relative who had a C5 6 spd. I drove some. Other than feeling like a cheap GM product it was good.

I drive mostly highway (80 mph) but stop & go is common, too. Roads aren't great.

Have two cars so while reliability is important it wont be my only car.

Hows the cabin during the summer? I hear the transmission tunnel gives off heat. I'd have to do something about that.

I already know mpg and insurance isnt bad.

Wouldnt get a Z06. Not paying for a nice car that gets beat-up commuting. (Again)

I don't recall the clutch being that heavy or long.

Yea, tires are expensive. I can handle that.

Common C6 issues?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lol but why though?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    MPG on a 6spd is awesome on the highway. I remember picking up a customer FRC in VA and driving it to NJ. Averaged over 30 in 6th gear.

The C6s are just as good because they have displacement on demand so they will shut off as many as 4 cylinders on the highway to keep gas mileage up.

My boss’s dad got a C6 coup in 2015 and daily drives it to work 9 months out of the year. He had a lot of problems in the beginning, nothing that would stop the car from functioning properly, and GM eventually took care of it, once they figured it out.

Factory LS clutches are really soft. I daily drove my TA for three or four years to college and even in heavy NJ traffic it wasn’t a problem. By the end I had a heavier aftermarket clutch and it still wasn’t a big deal. Just do some leg presses and calf extensions. ;-)
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Lol but why though?
    Make the commute a little more enjoyable.

Communicative chassis, responsive steering, nice engine / exhaust sounds.

I dont enjoy boring cars.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    MPG on a 6spd is awesome on the highway. I remember picking up a customer FRC in VA and driving it to NJ. Averaged over 30 in 6th gear.

The C6s are just as good because they have displacement on demand so they will shut off as many as 4 cylinders on the highway to keep gas mileage up.

My boss’s dad got a C6 coup in 2015 and daily drives it to work 9 months out of the year. He had a lot of problems in the beginning, nothing that would stop the car from functioning properly, and GM eventually took care of it, once they figured it out.

Factory LS clutches are really soft. I daily drove my TA for three or four years to college and even in heavy NJ traffic it wasn’t a problem. By the end I had a heavier aftermarket clutch and it still wasn’t a big deal. Just do some leg presses and calf extensions. ;-)
    Thanks!

I was not aware Corvettes had cylinder deactivation. Even manuals?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Make the commute a little more enjoyable.

Communicative chassis, responsive steering, nice engine / exhaust sounds.

I dont enjoy boring cars.
    If you’re a car guy I guess. I have a radio for that though but if it’s your thing. Have at it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    But it’s a GM...
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My friend recently sold his C7 Z06 that he daily drive for a few years. No issues other than cost of tires. I rode around in it here in Phoenix in the middle of summer and had no cabin heat issues.

Obviously a different gen car though.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I currently own a 1954 C1, 1964 C2, 1977 C3, 1996 C4, and a 1998 C5. Neither is a daily driver, but I rotate between them as much as possible throughout they year, with the exception of the winter. If you get a C5 and up, it could make a good daily driver. The older ones, not so much. Fun factor is there, but the ride is a lot harsher, gas mileage generally sucks, and they are hot. Even the C4 feels less sophisticated and harsher that a newer generation. Basically going from a C1-C4 to a C5-C6 feels like going from a truck to a nice sedan.

I can get about 30mpg on the highway with the C4 with LT4 engine and a 6-speed manual trans. The C5 has an LS1 and 4-speed auto, and gets about 24mpg highway. The difference in ride quality between the C5 and C6 is not a great leap, but going from a C5 to C7 is. I would be sure to have a backup car, and check places like Amazon and Walmart online for tires. You can find some great deals there. There is no spare after the C4 generation, so you either want to get run-flats (expensive) or keep a can of fix-a-flat on hand and have AAA (my preference). You also need to be aware of the type of tires you get. I have summer tires on the C4 and C5, so no driving below 45*. As far as interior heat issues, the C5 auto climate control unit can be finicky due to the blend actuators and vacuum hoses, but if you have a good AC system it will keep you cool. Both my C4 and C5 are fine in the summer, although I usually have the targa off the C4 and the top down on the C5.

As far as enjoyment, well, I love driving, but my daily drive Nissan Pathfinder is simply utilitarian. I find my radio choices change based on my driving that or one of the Vettes. My wife even comments that I have a completely different mood when I come home from work in a Vette. To me it's just a more relaxing fun ride. The C5 (and newer gens) just make it more comfortable.

I always liked this quote as a way to explain the difference between the first four gens and the C5 and up:
    "The C5 is like a sophisticated older woman who brings you a fine glass of wine, with soft music in the background. The C4 is the perky, drunk sorority girl with a shot of tequila blasting The Gap Band. The evening both ends with the same result but the experience of getting there is wildly different. So, what is your mood?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    But it’s a GM...
    I know 😔

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast