Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone daily drive a Corvette?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Not paying for that maintenance!

Weve had Audi's, BMW's, and a VW in the family. All really expensive to maintain/ repair. Even the VW! ��

Those are cars owned only while under full warranty.

The VW will go immediately after its next issue / repair. Last issue was an alternator. $750 for the part. NOBODY could get one but VW, or get it from VW. That includes remans. It's on strike two. At 60k miles.
    I've owned a Boxster S, 911, Panamera, and current daily driver is 2018 Cayman S, maintenance is really no more expensive than most quality vehicles, cheaper than the MB "E" class the wife drives. What a previous post stated is true, driving a Porsche is never boring.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks!

I was not aware Corvettes had cylinder deactivation. Even manuals?
    C6 does not... So Sorry AlexV, you are wrong on that account.

C7 does have DOD and AFM, even the manual cars, although on the manual cars its way harder to get it to engage. The auto cars, the big issue with the A8 transmission is caused by the engine going in and out of DOD constantly and it wreaks havoc on the torque converter.

I have owner I think 7 Corvettes. I only daily drove one of them(07 manual). They make fantastic daily drivers, but piss poor only vehicles, which shouldnt be a problem in your situation.

I currently have a 96 Coupe manual, Z51 collector edition and a 2019 Z06 manual coupe. Im on the lookout for an 04 Z06 Commemorative Edition that isnt beat to shit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    I've owned a Boxster S, 911, Panamera, and current daily driver is 2018 Cayman S, maintenance is really no more expensive than most quality vehicles, cheaper than the MB "E" class the wife drives. What a previous post stated is true, driving a Porsche is never boring.
    I don't know about you, but most sports cars drivers I see driving them look boring. Most look and drive like they should have just bought an E class.

I wouldn't mind a Cayman S as a daly though.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-15-19 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    C6's are nice. I've only test driven them but I can see it as a daily. However, 80MPH+ highway driving with less than perfect roads seems like a Challenger kind of job IMO, I put 1300 miles on one in a week and came away thinking that it was a fantastic highway car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Only Vette I've owned was a triple black C5 convertible with 4 speed auto. Compared to other vehicles I've owned, build quality was better than any earlier makes and models, but fell short of contemporary Japanese and European imports. I've heard they improved a lot with the C7's, but haven't driven one of those.

My C5 got great mileage. 25+ mpg was regular and best was 32.5 on a road trip. It was very reliable over the 3 years I owned it too. As a daily commuter, it was kinda meh. The seats creaked, the interior bits felt cheap and some of the trim was loose, triggering my OCD. Even with the mag ride it shuddered quite a bit over expansion joints and broken pavement (I attribute some of that to being a convertible). Any mid corner bad pavement made it feel nervous and unsettled, even though it actually managed to stay on track most of the time. Probably the biggest complaint was the low seating, high rear end and small rear window. With no blind spot monitoring it made lane changes in traffic, interesting. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get honked at more than a few times.

Still, I'd love to have a '14 3LT coupe in Lime Rock green with Kalahari interior. As long as it had blind spot monitoring, I'd daily the hell out of it!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    C6 does not... So Sorry AlexV, you are wrong on that account.

C7 does have DOD and AFM, even the manual cars, although on the manual cars its way harder to get it to engage. The auto cars, the big issue with the A8 transmission is caused by the engine going in and out of DOD constantly and it wreaks havoc on the torque converter.

I have owner I think 7 Corvettes. I only daily drove one of them(07 manual). They make fantastic daily drivers, but piss poor only vehicles, which shouldnt be a problem in your situation.

I currently have a 96 Coupe manual, Z51 collector edition and a 2019 Z06 manual coupe. Im on the lookout for an 04 Z06 Commemorative Edition that isnt beat to shit.
    Yes. Brain fart. The LS3 in the G8 GXP had it, but not in the Corvette. You are right.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Yes. Brain fart. The LS3 in the G8 GXP had it, but not in the Corvette. You are right.
    Did those have an LS3 or was it like the Camaro where the auto got the L99? Because the L99 has DOD in the auto camaro's, but the manual camaro's got the LS3 and no DOD...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Did those have an LS3 or was it like the Camaro where the auto got the L99? Because the L99 has DOD in the auto camaro's, but the manual camaro's got the LS3 and no DOD...
    Yesir. The GXP had a 6.2L LS3
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Only Vette I've owned was a triple black C5 convertible with 4 speed auto. Compared to other vehicles I've owned, build quality was better than any earlier makes and models, but fell short of contemporary Japanese and European imports. I've heard they improved a lot with the C7's, but haven't driven one of those.

My C5 got great mileage. 25+ mpg was regular and best was 32.5 on a road trip. It was very reliable over the 3 years I owned it too. As a daily commuter, it was kinda meh. The seats creaked, the interior bits felt cheap and some of the trim was loose, triggering my OCD. Even with the mag ride it shuddered quite a bit over expansion joints and broken pavement (I attribute some of that to being a convertible). Any mid corner bad pavement made it feel nervous and unsettled, even though it actually managed to stay on track most of the time. Probably the biggest complaint was the low seating, high rear end and small rear window. With no blind spot monitoring it made lane changes in traffic, interesting. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get honked at more than a few times.

Still, I'd love to have a '14 3LT coupe in Lime Rock green with Kalahari interior. As long as it had blind spot monitoring, I'd daily the hell out of it!
    Thanks!

I had shopped the Camaro and really would have wanted that Kalahari leather to make the interior less cave-like!

The car, while very capable, didnt provide the small, sporty car experience I was looking for. The interior was cramped for a daily. Especially when the cramped interior was inside a 3800 lb car. 🤔

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    C6's are nice. I've only test driven them but I can see it as a daily. However, 80MPH+ highway driving with less than perfect roads seems like a Challenger kind of job IMO, I put 1300 miles on one in a week and came away thinking that it was a fantastic highway car.
    Yes! Your exactly right! (The great-looking Challenger) The old muscle car formula. Decent handling and brakes, great looks, sound, ride. A 6.4L Challenger (or Hellcat) is literally a better car in every way than the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's.

The answer is have a Challenger and a small, sporty car.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast