Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 years of firearm handling and got bit with drop discharge Friday night.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    it missed tib, fib, and any arteries.
    Talk about blind luck, should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home from the ER. Glad you're OK. Did the police get involved since you went to the ER with a GSW?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yikes. Did L.E. have to get involved?? I thought hospitals had to report these types of things.
    For us it's a formality to ensure there wasn't a crime committed. We get called automatically, go to the hospital and take the statement, file the report if there's nothing else. In the rural South it happens.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Glad you'll be alright.

Dont Frontiers have a transfer bar safety mechanism?

Feedback Score
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At least now you know what getting shot feels like.

Forgive yourself and sin no more, my son.

Feedback Score
    Scary shit. Glad youre ok.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A lesson, a reminder, for all of us. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Glad you are OK. Thanks for sharing.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad you are okay.

In answer to a post above, we had two ND/AD's on our range, both involved recovering to the holster.

One involved a Glock during a departmental transition course using our range. The shooter was recovering to the holster, his wind jacket got in the way and he lost his grip on the pistol. As he grasped the pistol to retain his grip I believe he squeezed the trigger, others believe something on the jacket caught the trigger. GSW to the thigh, no broken bones or major vessels hit.

The second involved a recruit during night shoot. The shooter was using a Sig P220 in .45 and had apparently not de-cocked the pistol or taken his finger off the trigger when recovering to the holster despite range commands to do so. Initial survey was the shot went into the leg below the knee and out again. I handled treatment which consisted of direct pressure bandages and oxygen until paramedics arrived to transport.

After the kid was transported the associate director (who was new and had been watching night shoot) asked 'how often does this happen?' I told him it was the first one when we were running things. His response was 'you guys acted like it was no big deal, so I assumed it had happened before.' I kind of thought, well good, but one of the first lessons a cop or paramedic ought to learn is never let someone know it is your first rodeo and we'd all seen GSW victims before, so no big deal.

The shooter/shootee returned from the ER late that night and wanted to continue firearms the next day. I was glad he wasn't hurt badly, him but chagrined that I had missed the in and out wound behind his holster on his upper thigh. In the ER after they were looking at his lower leg, he told the doctor something hurt on his thigh. In and out, in and out.

I haven't treated another GSW since, but the rule 'completely expose' is firmly ingrained for the next time.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Good lesson here. If you drop a gun, let it fall.

EVERYBODY has dropped a gun. It didn’t go off but I was taking off ALL my clothes after a 20 hour day and just wanted to die on my bed. Boots, belt, top, vest....

Then I undo a velcro strap and my .44 snubby goes a tumbling. I just let it go and winced. Nothing happened except the hand got broke on it and I sent it to Charter Arms who fixed it no problem. (Its a long fall)

It had a decent enough holster it was just a mixture of fatigue and sweat and so on.

But that was pounded into me. Let it drop. Most modern guns are drop safe.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast