Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30 years of firearm handling and got bit with drop discharge Friday night.

Feedback Score
    Glad you’re not seriously injured OP, one has to be extra careful with revolvers that lack a transfer bar safety mechanism. Hammer over empty chamber only.

I have a .454 Casull with no transfer bar, so it’s carried exclusively with the hammer over an empty chamber. Of course it’s also really easy to verify after loading one chamber, skipping one, then loading three more, cock the hammer and slowly let it down to the safety notch (not to be trusted with a live round. Simply holding the revolver out muzzle up and angled so you can see the cylinder face will confirm because you can count all the rounds you loaded and note they are not under the hammer. Might be tougher to visually check with a .22LR though.

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear the damage to you was minimal. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Thanks for all the healthy wishes gents. Calf still sore, still not sure how this avoided my undercarriage. Here are some pics in order

https://imgur.com/a/g0Sja2P
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Glad you’re not seriously injured OP, one has to be extra careful with revolvers that lack a transfer bar safety mechanism. Hammer over empty chamber only.

I have a .454 Casull with no transfer bar, so it’s carried exclusively with the hammer over an empty chamber. Of course it’s also really easy to verify after loading one chamber, skipping one, then loading three more, cock the hammer and slowly let it down to the safety notch (not to be trusted with a live round. Simply holding the revolver out muzzle up and angled so you can see the cylinder face will confirm because you can count all the rounds you loaded and note they are not under the hammer. Might be tougher to visually check with a .22LR though.
    True. Rimfire chambers are usually recessed to enclose the whole rim. For similar working guns a stripe of grease pencil on the cylinder over the empty chamber sometimes helps, More comfortable than just about looking at the muzzle. 22LR is almost always much shorter than the cylinder.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    sadmin, You don't happen to IWB appendix carry your CCW do you? But seriously, mucho glad it didn't get high on the GSW badness scale. Best wishes on a complete recovery. By the way, did brother-in-law still take the pistol on his trip? Some people would have taken a pass. All about bad juju and "It's possessed" kind of thing.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing and so glad to hear you're relatively ok. Your message sharing is important for all of us to remember. Thank you.

I've see .22lr GSW do very strange things to the body and so happy to hear yours was uncomplicated. I recall a patient I treated that unfortunately took a .22lr to the sternum, failed to penetrate, skimmed along under the skin and went thru the pectorals muscle and ended with stunning destruction in his brachial plexus (nerves under armpit) rendering his arm permanently and almost completely paralyzed/flaccid.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    Thanks for all the healthy wishes gents. Calf still sore, still not sure how this avoided my undercarriage. Here are some pics in order

https://imgur.com/a/g0Sja2P
    I like the glass bottle your pain killers come in.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    I was taking a class. After shooting, We were told to re-holster and get ready for the next stage.
    Just happened to notice a guy had re-holstered his da/sa without de-cocking.
    I quickly pointed it out to the instructor who just about had a cow, but corrected the problem diplomatically.
    Just now reading these other posts made me think back how that could have gone south in a bad way.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reminder. Glad we didn't lose anyone! Speedy recovery to you.
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I dropped a Glock once. Was a borrowed 17, I had a 19 holster. Didn't fit as snug as I thought.

Also had a buddy pop himself with a Sig P226. Not really sure what happened, it's like the jacket of the bullet fragged him in the thigh, but no actual "bullet" hit him. I wonder if the bullet grazed the holster enough to break apart?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast