Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On general firearms accuracy...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    A rule of thumb used to say that, for a given caliber, a bolt gun will usually have the edge over a semiauto in terms of accuracy. Given modern manufacturing techniques, does this still hold true?
    As a general rule, yes.
    But you can have expensive semis more accurate than cheap bolt guns.
    If price is not a factor, the accuracy difference gets smaller... generally.
    From what Ive seen, the lmt, larue, and kac gas guns rival $1k-$2k bolt guns in accuracy.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive had 4 "precision" model 700s and 1 Savage over the years. All were 308s. All averaged about .6 to .9 MOA with good ammo or handloads. With my AI anything over .6 is me. It regularly shoots sub .5 with Hornady 140 ELD-M 6.5 CM. But the barrel on my AI costs more than most of those factory rifles.

My BCM SS410 rifle can hang with those older bolt guns and averages about .75 to 1 MOA. My friends "Mk12" build is a little more accurate than mine. But neither will hang with my AI at any range.

Now practical accuracy is a different thing. A hit is a hit. Just yesterday we were shooting a 10 inch plate at 488 yards with our precision ARs. Hell I was doing it with ease using M193 (which my BCM shoots to a little under 2 MOA).

If I needed to make a single shot, at a single target, I would use my AI. If I were going to be a Designated Marksman overwatching my squad on a push into a compound, Ill take the semi auto.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    OP’s key word was “Practical Accuracy”

Not setting records or getting super anal on benchrest.

Within 800 meters it is literally splitting hairs. In that mode, I would rather have something semi auto.

If we are talking something to do with niche calibers then that is a different topic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    OP’s key word was “Practical Accuracy”

Not setting records or getting super anal on benchrest.

Within 800 meters it is literally splitting hairs. In that mode, I would rather have something semi auto.

If we are talking something to do with niche calibers then that is a different topic.
    Weird. The keyword you’re talking about I didn’t see at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Weird. The keyword you’re talking about I didn’t see at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My mistake. I was looking at C Grunt. OP said “general accuracy”.

I do think that is hair splitting still.

Feedback Score
    Practical accuracy depends a lot on factors other than the precision potential of a given action, barrel, and ammo combination.

Assuming a skilled shooter is using the rifle, a top quality bolt action precision rifle will outperform a top quality semi-auto. Mechanically the bolt gun is way more rigid and that gives a big advantage in repeatable results aka precision. Helping the shooter achieve better results the bolt gun has considerably faster lock time, and the best bolt gun triggers are also way better than the best semi auto triggers for precision shooting.

How far away you want to shoot is also a factor, bolt guns make it easier to chamber more powerful flatter shooting cartridges that make going the distance easier.

Whether that makes a practical difference in results for the end user is up to the end user’s requirements.

Feedback Score
    My observation of “on general firearms accuracy” is that it is the most lied about topic by gun owners on the internet.

The stories of cheap 22s and old lever actions and beat up clunky autoloaders like Remington Models 8s with reciprocating barrels all attributed by their owners to be “MOA” guns is legion.

The funny thing is they don’t even know enough about how guns actually have accuracy limitations to know that it is obvious they are fabricating their claims.

The other most common thing is to show a single small group and exclaim “look how great my gun shoots!” Whereupon I ask what the other groups look like, preferably shot on the same piece of paper.

Crickets.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrem View Post
    My observation of “on general firearms accuracy” is that it is the most lied about topic by gun owners on the internet.

The stories of cheap 22s and old lever actions and beat up clunky autoloaders like Remington Models 8s with reciprocating barrels all attributed by their owners to be “MOA” guns is legion.

The funny thing is they don’t even know enough about how guns actually have accuracy limitations to know that it is obvious they are fabricating their claims.

The other most common thing is to show a single small group and exclaim “look how great my gun shoots!” Whereupon I ask what the other groups look like, preferably shot on the same piece of paper.

Crickets.
    You are correct, of course.

On the other hand, I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a El Paso Weaver K4 scope that will print 3 rounds in an inch or less consistently, so I could call it a "MOA gun". 5 round groups are closer to minute of deer.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12