Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use WD40 to clean M4?

Feedback Score

Does anyone use WD40 to clean M4?

Was looking around at different cleaners and I know Ed's Red is a excellent carbon cleaner in bolt carrier group.

That being said I don't remember anyone as ever having tried WD40?

I know Mobil 1 0W20 motor oil is very good at keeping the carbon soft by adding a couple drops in the port holes. I will probably stay with Mobil 1 but was just wondering if anyone had ever tried WD40.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 12-17-19 at 16:47.

Feedback Score
    WD40 is a Water Displacement formula. Yes, it can unstick stuck things but the issue is that as the carrier evaporates, it leaves a gummy, varnishy residue that will clog up your action. You will be much better served with a purpose-formulated gun cleaner.

I’ve been to a number of factory armorer schools and every one has specifically recommended that WD40 not be used.

For lube, a good gun lube or, like you are doing now, good synthetic motor oil have all worked well for me. I’ve been using the Amsoil cleaner and protectant lately and like it, but have used Super QCG, Gunzilla, Break-free, etc, all with good results.

I hope this helps,

SBRSarge

Feedback Score
    Sarge I agree fully but the WD40 website lists like 2000 uses for it and it is supposed to clean a bunch of stuff according to the site so was just wondering if anyone tried it.

You absolutely don't put it in a lock.

Ed's Red you can put in locks outside and I have done so for years.
    '
    I have put ER in a barrel,sloppy wet, stored it muzzle down for 14 months and borescoped it and it was still wet.

My motto is only use WD40 on things with one part like shovels, picks, etc and maybe wipe down outside of gun but never put in inboard.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use WD40 pretty liberally for hosing out everything but in never gets left in pools or drips-- I blow it out 99% of the time so there's nothing but a thin coat of it. I use it this way for the convenience and the fact that it's pressurized and easy to get the wand in tight places.

I recently contacted WD40 about this for an article and gave them every opportunity to offer suggestions or say that it does not happen. Have they done any testing on it and found it's a myth? After several tries I got a response or two that did not at all address the question..... that was disappointing.

I recently experienced a bolt gun that was gummed up pretty bad in the trigger and bolt latch..... we were 99% sure it would have been WD40 left in for about 4 years.

I often also use low odor mineral spirits for hose-outs, in a pressurized spray can:
    https://www.zoro.com/sure-shot-spray...yABEgLI8_D_BwE

....but a final treatment of something to leave the steel something other than "bone-assed-dry" is a good idea, that's where I use WD40. Yes, I should probably use something else but they way I use it, it does work.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I purchased a "5 screw" N Frame S&W from a relative years back. It was so gummed up from his liberal use of WD40, spraying into the frame from the trigger cut out, the cylinder would no longer turn.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I had a friend that sprayed his so much that they were all sticky/gooey and one 1911 45 was so bad you could release the slide and it slowly went into battery. None were rusted but none worked either. I have seen locks sprayed with it that were outside and would not work.

I have put Eds Red on stuff for about the last 12 years and never had any problem. I gave samples away to shooting buddies who now make their own.

I think I am going to have to make up another 1.5 gals this week. The original formula has acetone in it but I don't put that in mine as I get too much on my skin.

Feedback Score
    I use WD-40 as a lube. I shoot often enough that the new squirt of it prevents the older applications from drying out. I clean with a solvent, normally GI bore=cleaner. I bought a gallon of it 40 years ago and still have plenty. Hoppe's works well, too

Feedback Score
    Used to use wd40 on my 22. Ended up causing malfunctions. Switched to mpro7 and slip2k for everything and no issues since. Motor oil works, but is not as good as slip.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    WD-40 will gum up gas rings in a semi-automatic shotgun or AR-15 faster than you can say hocus pocus. I never use WD-40 for lubricant on a weapon.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Sarge I agree fully but the WD40 website lists like 2000 uses for it and it is supposed to clean a bunch of stuff according to the site so was just wondering if anyone tried it.
    Yes, people have tried it. People have taken their M4 into their barracks room and run it thru the shower, too.

People do dumb things.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast