Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hodge Defense barrel, an inside look.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Or Mikhail.

WASR 10:

Attachment 60095
    I guess everybody has to get their idea from somewhere. It's amazing how far ahead of their time Stoner, Kalashnikov were.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Gas port erosion is one of the most over-worried issues in the AR realm. It's somewhat self limiting, and the throat will be gone 10s of thousands of rounds before the port is problematic.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Gas port erosion is one of the most over-worried issues in the AR realm. It's somewhat self limiting, and the throat will be gone 10s of thousands of rounds before the port is problematic.
    Ive heard different types of lube can impact port erosion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ain't that the truth.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Here you go... Not pretty but I don't know exactly what I'm looking at either. I just got a 4-16x to test group sizes on my RDS rifles and am interested to see how this barrel still groups.

Thanks for the focus tip!

Dennis.
    As others have noted, the gas port erosion and worn leade have not put much of an accuracy dent in my 16" Noveske CHF CL barrel with ~7K rounds. Still getting good groups with IMI 77, BH 75, and XM193 @100Y. Also easy hits to 500Y steel which means it's still my primary reliable go-to AR after all these years and many other contenders in the safe!

I guess my borescope is mostly for fun as opposed to a diagnostic tool I have any skill with

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Why is there so much wear on the lands just past the gas port vs just before? Is it because of gas blow-by?
    As the gas impinges on the edge of the port, it will abrade off minute particles, which will then travel down the barrel. So, before the gas port, it is mostly hot gas with a few combustion particulates, after the port it's more of a sandblast effect.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    As the gas impinges on the edge of the port, it will abrade off minute particles, which will then travel down the barrel. So, before the gas port, it is mostly hot gas with a few combustion particulates, after the port it's more of a sandblast effect.
    Roger; thanks.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234