Thread: SIG P-226 question

Feedback Score

SIG P-226 question

This somewhat piggybacks on comments on another thread. For years, the P226 came with the original folded metal slide. Then (not sure what year) SIG moved to a milled slide which has better durability. However, even given the improved durability, some folks still seem to prefer the older style slide. Is this because of the (presumably) lighter weight or some other factor?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It's a long story.

SIG Classics were all folded steel slides until the P229, which came out in 40S&W/357SIG and apparently needed the stainless slide. So for a good while, certain models were folded (P220/225/226/228) and new ones were stainless slides (P229/P239).

Then as 40S&W / 357SIG came to the P226, it went stainless slide. Then the P220 followed over time. P225/P228 stayed 9MM and folded slides until SIG tried to resurrect them in the past couple of years on and off with stainless slides.

There were some issues with the P220 specifically with the change to P220ST stainless slides and the extractor design but it has been long since solved.

Some of the preference to folded steel slides pistols is because they were made mainly in Germany vs the US. Even when pistols were assembled in the US, the folded slides were made in German.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The folded slide 226 was over an ounce lighter and they really did handle and shoot sweet.

The stainless slide was better in every other way though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    One issue with the folded steel slides was that the breech block was a separate piece held in place by two piece pins. These pins were a maintenance item and are supposed to be replaced every xxxx number of rounds, these pins and replacement breech blocks are no longer made by Sig and as far as I know no aftermarket ones are available.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 12-19-19 at 09:48.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Our agency adopted the Sig P226 in 9mm not long after Tx DPD went Sig. P226/229 and the P220.
    Later they had Sig come up with the 357Sig ammo 125gr GDHP. Not much better ballistically over the 9mm +P GDHP except recoil and concussion.
    Our P226's were 10 years old, folded slide and Sig made a heck of a deal on trade for P226 DAK 357Sig. I really liked the DAK over the DA/SA trigger pulls.
    The DAK FCG could be staged like a S&W revolver in take up. The KAHR DAO was a close 2nd on this style trigger.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.