Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting into 1911's, where do I start?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Thinking about getting into 1911's, where do I start?

I have some trade credit at my LGS so I'm thinking about plunking down for my first 1911, knowing full well that I may catch a disease that I can't control if I go down that road. My question is, where do I start? I've been doing a small amount of research, at least enough to know how much I don't know, so what are some of the better starter pistols to be considering, books, websites, forums, etc.? I don't need to be looking at the cheapest models, and I think I like the idea of a Colt, and a .45 caliber, but I'm all ears when it comes to suggestions about brand, caliber, if thinking about suppressing it/one down the road is a good idea, if a commander or full size is a better option, or anything else that bears discussing. Please guys, help educate me.

Feedback Score
    Springfield Loaded is a great one to start with.

Feedback Score
    Buy a .45 and get a full size. Buy the best you can afford....1911s are not like ARs...cheap ones often don’t work at all. Buy some books on the 1911 and read up as much as you can in how they work and how to trouble shoot. Chip McCormick power mags seem to work in every 1911.

It’s an addictive gun but can frustrating to keep running. I weened myself off several years ago and went to a full sized M&P 45 with an Apex FSS trigger and thumb safety for gun games.

I have been intrigued by the S&W E Series for years but never bought one. I like the idea of an external extractor as that is the source of many headaches in the original design.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    How much do you want to spend and do you want a toy or a serious defensive tool?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If I were serious about getting into it with the advantage of hindsight, starting point would be Springfield TRP or Colt equivalent. Just for fun, a standard Colt or Colt Competition. There's plenty of preference in that recommendation, but also about 13 years of playing with and carrying 1911s.

Feedback Score
    If I were getting a 1911 today, I'd check out the STI R model.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get a Dan Wesson in 9mm.

New quality 1911’s run fine in 9mm and much more fun to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Recently traded around and ended up with a Springfield Armory Loaded Operator model. Very impressed so far.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned previously the Springfield TRP is quite a bit of pistol for the price. Their Loaded model was my first 1911 and ran great for a little less than a TRP. Depending on your budget I'd recommend the buy once/cry once approach (there will be more as the addiction progresses, but you get the idea). Also don't use poor quality magazines

Feedback Score
    Getting into 1911s is one of the most rewarding things I’ve done regarding firearms. They are range guns for me, polymer guns for concealed carry. There is just something about a 1911 with a big ol’ .45 barrel. Purchase a Colt or maybe a Springfield government model.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast