Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting into 1911's, where do I start?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmrranger View Post
    I also suggest .45 in full size. Springfield TRP or Dan Wesson Valor are both great and are in your price range. I think you would be very happy with either!
    I own both and both are great. You may want to goto 1911 Addicts forum and check out their classifieds. A ton of 1911 crazies that buy guns shoot a box and sell for much less. All tiers of guns can be found for good deals.

You just buy 8 round mags and its 8 plus 1 , no issues.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-26-19 at 10:56.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The lack of front strap checkering on a 1911 is not a deal-breaker, particularly not for a range toy. But for serious use, I'd want to get some aggressive G10 grips to make up for it. And you can always put skateboard tape on the front strap (I think VZ Grips sells pre-cut skater tape for specifically this purpose in three packs). I like the A2, but mostly as a, "this is a nice, classic-looking 1911."

WRT magazines, full-size 1911s can take either 7- or 8-round magazines. It is a magazine thing. Broadly speaking, the 7-rounders are going to give better service than the 8-rounders. The problem with most 8-round 1911 magazines on the market is that they're 7-round magazine tubes with followers and spring modified to stuff that extra round into them. Consequently they tend to run OK in the short-term, but also tend to be less reliable than the 7-round magazines. There are some magazines out there designed from the ground-up as 8-rounders, which have physically longer magazine tubes, such as the Wilson ETM and ETM-V. If you want 8-round magazines, they are what I would get. If you want flush-fitting magazines, I believe you can get Wilson 47s with low-profile bumpers.

If you haven't, I would recommend tracking down and reading Hilton Yam's articles on using a 1911 as a duty gun on the 10-8 Performance website (linked because it's a giant pain in the shorts to try to find them on the 10-8 Performance website):

Choosing a 1911 for Duty Use
    1911 Magazines
    1911 User's Guide
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post

There is one other question I have at the moment. I'm noticing that some models come with a 7 round mag, and some with 8 round. Is that a limitation of the gun or simply the magazines? It seems like it would be the mag, like any other gun, but as the TRP is sold as 7+1, will it always be a 7+1 unless using an extended mag? Congruently, the Dan Wessons are sold as an 8+1, so would those pistols accept 7 round magazines? Is there any difference in functionality between 7 and 8 rounds magazines? It seems like the answer would be a no brainer, but I hope not to take anything for granted with this purchase.
    Both guns are same just one is sold with a 7 round mag while the other is sold with an 8

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No mention of the Colt M45A1?? OORAH!

Saw this video recently...if the intro doesn't get you pumped about shooting a 1911 then there's something wrong with you...

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Made me want that gun. He does have issue with the smooth front strap he says. I have small hands and I’m small in general. I wonder if the CCU in 45 is a wiser choice. Checkered. Less money. For some reason the m45a1 draws me in though.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Made me want that gun. He does have issue with the smooth front strap he says. I have small hands and I’m small in general. I wonder if the CCU in 45 is a wiser choice. Checkered. Less money. For some reason the m45a1 draws me in though.
    I have felt that for concealed carry where you may have to draw your weapon quickly, a smooth front strap could be better in case you need to quickly adjust your grip. With front and back strap checkering plus checkered G10 grips, your hand is locked to the gun (which does make it easier to control recoil if you have small hands or lack grip strength). Just my observations/opinion.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Borrow a friend's for starters - make SURE it's for you.

When you're ready to buy, get something decent (Springfield Operator, for instance), that WON'T break the bank. Having owned 2 crappy 1911's, before I finally bought my first DECENT 1911, it makes all the difference in the world, to LIKING the 1911!

Will also hold decent resale value, if you decide to get rid of it.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Which is why I always look for checkering all around. I think the ccu has mim and m45 doesn’t? Ccu has magwell and m45 doesn’t. M45 has rear dots on sights ccu doesn’t. Why is the ccu cheaper again?
    Last edited by newyork; 12-28-19 at 12:35.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Which is why I always look for checkering all around.
    Although its never been a deal breaker for me, I do normally prefer front strap checkering as well. However...have you felt some of the grips that VZ produces (which is what the M45A1 wears)?? Those things are very aggressive. And I mean insanely grippy. To the point where I think checkering on the front strap of this particular Colt is really unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Damn it sir. You’re making me want that gun more now

Are there any superior details/fitting to the m45 production gun compared to the CCU rail?
    Last edited by newyork; 12-28-19 at 13:17.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast