Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Shim Stock

Feedback Score

Stainless Shim Stock

I’m looking for an assortment pack of stainless steel shim stock to “bed” a couple barrel extensions. A pack with a few different thicknesses. All I seem to be able to find it carbon steel. Anyone have any advice? Maybe I’m word searching wrong
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    yeah, more than you'll ever need in a lifetime. could probably supply your whole club...

under "shim stock", then "shim stock sets", then select "material" for "stainless steel"...

myself, I just buy the individual rolls instead of a set, 6" wide x 50" long, of .001" 18-8 stainless (9502K41 $13.38), .0015" (9502K63 $14.50) and .002" (9502K42 $14.54). a la carte. more than I'll ever need.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shims
    Last edited by rpoL98; 12-19-19 at 23:30.

Feedback Score
    Must have missed this as I feel I search their website. Thanks
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    No way you will get an interference fit with shim stock. You would have better luck trying to shove a greasy string up a cat's ass. If you cannot get an interference fit why bother with anything other than Loctite sleeve,bearing retainer? Might also have better luck using quality parts that don't require bandaids.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    No way you will get an interference fit with shim stock. You would have better luck trying to shove a greasy string up a cat's ass. If you cannot get an interference fit why bother with anything other than Loctite sleeve,bearing retainer? Might also have better luck using quality parts that don't require bandaids.
    https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.V...0AAAAA&pid=Api

If I have the option, and I do, I prefer to use BCM or Hodge Defense upper receivers when putting together a complete AR upper. I think the VLTOR upper receiver also has an undersized bore. All these have undersized upper bore id’s that usually gives you a very snug fit, any many times you need to thermally fit (hair dryer) the barrel to the upper. Remember, the expansion rate of aluminum is greater than steel.
    Last edited by Biggy; 12-20-19 at 18:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Really? You may want to do a little research before you weigh in. It first got the idea from the armorer for the Army Rifle team....the group that competes at Camp Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.V...0AAAAA&pid=Api

If I have the option, and I do, I prefer to use BCM or Hodge Defense upper receivers when putting together a complete AR upper. I think the VLTOR upper receiver also has an undersized bore. All these have undersized upper bore id’s that usually gives you a very snug fit, any many times you need to thermally fit (hair dryer) the barrel to the upper. Remember, the expansion rate of aluminum is greater than steel.
    I agree and plan to go this route with a precision/SPR build I’ll be doing. Right now I have a couple Colt uppers and barrels for some builds. Shimming is preferable to lock tight IMO in that you can easy get the barrel off. But the best method would be a heat fit.
    Last edited by OldState; 12-20-19 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    Another video

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, I bought my hardened stainless steel shim stock from Amazon.

You really don't need a full assortment. Just measure the outer diameter of the barrel extension and the inside of the upper, and then you'll know what thickness to order. Just remember that your shim stock should be half the difference between the two diameters, ie if the difference between the outside of the barrel extension and the inside of the receiver is 2 thousanths, but 0.001 stock.

FYI, freezing the barrel and heating the receiver will be necessary.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I didn't try shimming a rebarrel due to the ID/OD being under .001" and not free floating, but my local supply store only had carbon steel shim stock and I wonder if it even matters? If using 6xx Loctite it should be sealed off anyway unless there is something I am missing?

Feedback Score
    I didn’t see stainless shim stock on Amazon. I’ll check again.

As for loctite, I didn’t plan on using it in this application. Figured if I can get a tight fit with out it I’d leave it out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast