Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Shim Stock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I didn't try shimming a rebarrel due to the ID/OD being under .001" and not free floating, but my local supply store only had carbon steel shim stock and I wonder if it even matters? If using 6xx Loctite it should be sealed off anyway unless there is something I am missing?
    I think .001" is pretty darn close, should be very snug.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I thought he said that under .0025 he just used green loctite.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    I didn’t see stainless shim stock on Amazon. I’ll check again.

As for loctite, I didn’t plan on using it in this application. Figured if I can get a tight fit with out it I’d leave it out.
    Here's a link to a variety. There are several more if you search Amazon for "stainless shim stock"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I58PZE

Make sure you get the polished and hardened stuff only. Otherwise it creates resistance when you're trying to insert the barrel into the upper.
    Last edited by georgeib; 12-21-19 at 05:43.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Here's a link to a variety. There are several more if you search Amazon for "stainless shim stock"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I58PZE

Make sure you get the polished and hardened stuff only. Otherwise it creates resistance when you're trying to insert the barrel into the upper.
    Ok that makes sense for getting stainless vs. Carbon steel shim, even with heating/cooling tossed in.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Really? You may want to do a little research before you weigh in. It first got the idea from the armorer for the Army Rifle team....the group that competes at Camp Perry.
    I have seen that video before. He said he uses green loctite in addition to the shim. Sounds to me like he confirmed what I said. He couldn't get an interference fit with just the shim stock. He used it to take up space.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Another video
    This guy conveniently didn't show video of him installing the shimmed barrel into the receiver. I wonder why.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    This guy conveniently didn't show video of him installing the shimmed barrel into the receiver. I wonder why.
    Probably in another video where, like many other demonstrations of difficult tasks, he holds it in the pit of his stomach and bends over to complete it while blocking the view.

Maybe he will have enough class to come up with the barrel seated and simultaneously release a dove in to the air.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I have seen that video before. He said he uses green loctite in addition to the shim. Sounds to me like he confirmed what I said. He couldn't get an interference fit with just the shim stock. He used it to take up space.
    Didnt confirm anything said. You claimed it was impossible while it has been done for years.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    I use the "pi x diameter" formula (high-school math) to calculate how wide a piece to cut the shim, length is distance from flange to just-short of feed ramp scallops. The math works. I put the seam aligned with the barrel extension pin, and just trim the corners at 45* to clear the pin at the seam, about a quarter-inch, no need to get elegant about the pin-clearance notch.
    I lightly coat the inside of the receiver bore with grease, and the barrel extension. Also a very light coat of grease on the shim, the grease helps the shim stick to the barrel extension, all to facilitate it all slipping into the receiver. a rubber band helps, or a thumb.

Feedback Score
    What shim thickness are you typically using?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast