Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stainless Shim Stock

Feedback Score
    Glad to see folks are starting to see the value of taking a few mins and a few $$s to make their ARs more accurate.
    I was laughed at here a few yrs back for suggesting the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Tried using Loctite 620 with .0015 and then .001 shim stock yesterday. Difference between extension and receiver was about .005. After coating extension and inside of receiver with loctite, I definitely couldn't use .0015 shim stock. I tried .001, and just couldn't quite finish the last 1/16 of on inch into the receiver. A heat gun would have made it work very easily. I ended up using the Loctite, and throwing it together. The experience taught me what to expect, and the upper is just ratty parts to a rejected M&P Sport upper being put back together for testing muzzled devices, etc.

(We tried everything to get that upper to work, only to realize later that the BCG was to blame and S&W wouldn't replace the BCG. Having disassembled it three or four times, I just let it sit in parts for the last couple years. )
    maybe shoulda tried it without the loctite first? yeah, I know, shoulda, coulda, woulda, so sad, too bad. hindsight is 20-20.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Glad to see folks are starting to see the value of taking a few mins and a few $$s to make their ARs more accurate.
    I'm one of those losers who was skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post
    maybe shoulda tried it without the loctite first? yeah, I know, shoulda, coulda, woulda, so sad, too bad. hindsight is 20-20.
    You're right. I used a dumpy build to learn on and I'mlucky for it. The Loctite 620 starts to set almost immediately. Probably in 5 minutes, so I started to hurry. I think the 620 between the extension and shim stock was the issue by make the OD larger. I also misplaced my handy magpul wrench somehow. I would have just tightened on and removed a GI barrel nut to finish seating it. Live and learn, I guess.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    I'm one of those losers who was skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by rpoL98 View Post
    You're right. I used a dumpy build to learn on and I'mlucky for it. The Loctite 620 starts to set almost immediately. Probably in 5 minutes, so I started to hurry. I think the 620 between the extension and shim stock was the issue by make the OD larger. I also misplaced my handy magpul wrench somehow. I would have just tightened on and removed a GI barrel nut to finish seating it. Live and learn, I guess.

Feedback Score
    Shim all the time! Works great, especially on 10/22's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234