Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radian Enhanced BCG and Bootleg Adjustable BCG

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Radian Enhanced BCG and Bootleg Adjustable BCG

OK, I know, we can just go with the parkerized M16 BCG available from BCM, DD, Colt, Sionics, SOLGW, etc, or if daring to buck the grain, even a Toolcraft. And besides that acknowledgement... the Sionics NP3 is my go-to for a new BCG purchase these days.

But, I am curious about the claims for the Radian product.

“Radian even took the time to precision-grind the bolt lugs on CNC equipment after they were heat treated. As a result, there’s no distortion to adversely affect accuracy.”
    That quote is from here: https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...carrier-group/

The manufacturer page is here: https://radianweapons.com/enhanced-bolt-carrier-group

Can someone help me out with this and what alleged improvements are being suggested. How do they help? Does anyone have any additional info on the BCG? Radian puts out excellent products otherwise, so curious if they made any genuine improvements with this. I’m a bit skeptical, but the price isn’t bad at some vendors.

The only other BCG I’ve found moderately compelling is the Bootleg adjustable. Does anyone have longterm experience with this one? Seems like the Gemtech version had some mixed reviews here.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Formerly known as AXTS Weapons Systems. AXTS is already on the deadbeat list. Everything you need to know about why you shouldn't do business with them can be found in this claim about the bolt group:

"The Enhanced Bolt Carrier Group for AR15/M16 platform weapons was designed to minimize carrier tilt..."

DI system doesn't have carrier tilt. Why do we need to reduce it?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    TDP spec BCGs are very good and rather difficult to improve on. The two companies that made real improvements on them are KAC and LMT, and neither made unsubstantiated claims.

When we made our SBCG, it was yet another realization the original design, and up to the current TDP, are brilliant, and need little in the way of improvements. We made minor changes to enhance reliability of the gas key screws (by using Ned's OCKS), better coating (NP3), a forward assist surface on the bolt (for sleek side uppers), and directional reference on the cam pin, but left the TDP spec BCG intact. Production SBCGs are sourced from, and assembled by SIONICS.

That BCG looks just like the pre-production SBCGs we had (only had 40 made), these were made by Toolcraft. On the product description, we omitted all the claimed improvements re: carrier tilt, faster locking/unlocking and stuff I simply don't believe.

Then as now, we recommend proper lubrication on moving parts, NP3 coating notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-29-19 at 08:44.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Young Manufacturing does that grinding after heat treat on their chromed NM bolts.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    This thread got me searching.

Found an older video of a gunsmith explaining bolt carrier tilt in a DI AR15, why it causes precision issues, and solutions. He mentions three companies (at the time) that make bolt carriers to address this and his research has found it increases precision by almost 9%.

Take it for what it’s worth. Most info in first half.

https://youtu.be/P2-BIENNPOg

Feedback Score
    I've been using a Bootleg carrier for quite awhile, I'm a fan when running suppressed. One of my 6.8 was very overgassed with a can, bolt speed would cause it to malfunction every 5 or 6 rounds. The Bootleg made it very reliable.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks guys.

On the “carrier tilt,” it seems like it is a non-issue for anyone but those at the highest levels of skill. That’s not me. Looks like not much info on the “precision grinding” of the bolt lugs...

On the Bootleg, perhaps I’ll keep an eye out for a used one and drop a DD or Sionics NP3 bolt in it to see how it works eventually. No rush on it, I’m still waiting for my first suppressor to get out of jail and that will be paired with a BRT barrel that shouldn’t need this.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Thanks guys.

On the “carrier tilt,” it seems like it is a non-issue for anyone but those at the highest levels of skill. That’s not me. Looks like not much info on the “precision grinding” of the bolt lugs...

On the Bootleg, perhaps I’ll keep an eye out for a used one and drop a DD or Sionics NP3 bolt in it to see how it works eventually. No rush on it, I’m still waiting for my first suppressor to get out of jail and that will be paired with a BRT barrel that shouldn’t need this.
    Carrier tilt doesn't care about your skill level. It cares about whether or not you installed some ghetto piston kit.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Carrier tilt doesn't care about your skill level. It cares about whether or not you installed some ghetto piston kit.
    Primarily, yes. Joe Carlos in the linked video above addressed situations in which he felt it affected DI rifles’ precision.

Feedback Score
    AXTS is most definitely not on any deadbeat list that I know of as they seem to have innovated a number of AR parts beyond standard TDP specs. Their bolt hold open system and charging handles are known performers. They also placed the forward assist further forward in the upper, which BCM is now following suit with. I would not talk trash on something you have not used or don’t understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast