Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You won't believe this.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score

You won't believe this.

Yesterday I was at my private range with my nephew and a former coworker. My nephew asked if I had brought my old WW II 1911 confusing me with a friend who has a Remington Rand 1911A1.
    That led to a discussion about makers of 1911's and my coworker says his deceased dad had one made by Singer Sewing Machines. I stopped dead in my tracks and asked where is it. He said he didn't know, maybe one of his sister had it, he had not seen it in years.
    I hold him he needs to find that gun. He asked why. I pulled out my phone and showed him one that sold for $80,000 at a Rock Island auction. He was stunned. He texted me this morning that he dreamed about it last night.

Feedback Score
    I'd be tearing everything apart!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cool.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It'd be very cool if he found it and it was. They are not marked "Singer" or "Sewing" or "Machine" however, and I've heard iterations of this story more than once.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Very cool,I think there were only 500 or less actually made. It would be an awesome find if he can dig it up thats for sure !
    http://sightm1911.com/lib/history/singer.htm
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ho...singer-1911a1/
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...45-pistol-gun/
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 12-21-19 at 12:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did not realize they were so rare. I had my hands on a Singer in 1979. I would be interested to know where it went after the ship was decommissioned. Does anyone know the year the military got rid of the 1911's? It had to happen after they adopted the Beretta, which is long after I hit my EAOS.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    It'd be very cool if he found it and it was. They are not marked "Singer" or "Sewing" or "Machine" however, and I've heard iterations of this story more than once.
    Not true. My buddy had a Singer issued .45 from the arms room back in Germany. I had a Remington Rand from the arms room. My gun sounded like a handful of nuts and bolts in a coffee can but it always fired. With minute of doorway accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I did not realize they were so rare. I had my hands on a Singer in 1979. I would be interested to know where it went after the ship was decommissioned. Does anyone know the year the military got rid of the 1911's? It had to happen after they adopted the Beretta, which is long after I hit my EAOS.
    We got NIB Beretta's in my unit at Camp Lejeune in 1986, I believe. Might have been '85. Turned in the 1911's just prior to.
    The 1911's I carried as a Naval Weapons guard and on Lejeune were not total pos's...but they were worn. Youd see a brand new slide on a old, worn out frame, stuff they cobbled together to keep them going.
    There were units scattered all over the world that lagged in getting the M9's, they werent all replaced at once. Probably took a couple or three years, maybe more, maybe less.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 12-22-19 at 05:36.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Pretty cool, my issued 1911 was a Singer receiver and USSS slide. My CPT. took the request to purchase to JAG with an explanation and was shot down.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    Not true. My buddy had a Singer issued .45 from the arms room back in Germany. I had a Remington Rand from the arms room. My gun sounded like a handful of nuts and bolts in a coffee can but it always fired. With minute of doorway accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    What part isn't true? The markings? Please back this statement up with data, I'm always in for learning new things, I collected and was involved in the 1911 collecting community for over a decade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast