Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, 1911 choice

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Personally I would take a hard look at Dan Wesson. I have owned multiple springfields, 3 kimbers, and 1 Wilson combat. The most accurate ones for me we’re the Kimber desert warrior and the Wilson combat. Didn’t have any reliability issues with the Kimber and still kick myself over selling that one. I still own the Wilson and a Springfield loaded full rail operator.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    In the TRP Operator price range I'd take a look at D.W.

A contender, at the least, for "most gun for the money".
    ^This. Springer is a fine choice, reliable and good gun for the money, and usually GREAT customer service in my experience. You won't go wrong with a TRP. But DW is outstanding, would be my top pick 1911 in the $1000 - $2000 price range.

ETA, you mentioned mags. The ones I've had best luck with in multiple 1911 platforms: Metalform (faves), Tripp, Wilson, CMC.
    Last edited by maximus83; 12-23-19 at 12:53.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    ^This. Springer is a fine choice, reliable and good gun for the money, and usually GREAT customer service in my experience. You won't go wrong with a TRP. But DW is outstanding, would be my top pick 1911 in the $1000 - $2000 price range.

ETA, you mentioned mags. The ones I've had best luck with in multiple 1911 platforms: Metalform (faves), Tripp, Wilson, CMC.
    I'd also put Mec Gar mags on that list. I've had great experiences with them across the board with my 1911 Sigs, Kimber and Springers.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I'd also put Mec Gar mags on that list. I've had great experiences with them across the board with my 1911 Sigs, Kimber and Springers.
    That's right--I've not tried Mecgar 1911 mags, but I often hear good things about them. An article by Mas Ayoob I saw awhile back spoke well of Mecgar 1911 mags.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ill 3rd(or 4th) a look at the D.W. pistols.

My Valor Duty Kote is a fantastic gun... ~1800 give or take. I dont like the Heini straight 8's, but not enough to send the gun off to get new sights because it uses some weird combo of sight cuts(novak/springfield or some such).

When I bought my D.W. I started looking at Colt Rail Guns for like 1000-1100. Then looked at the TRP's, then the Operators, then the Professional(I believe this is the FBI gun), then finally to the DW Valor. I probably looked at a few more also.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 12-23-19 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    That's right--I've not tried Mecgar 1911 mags, but I often hear good things about them. An article by Mas Ayoob I saw awhile back spoke well of Mecgar 1911 mags.
    I did not know Chip McCormick got bought by Wilson Combat.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1) Dan Wesson Valor. American made. No mim. Close to hand made.
    2) Heinie sights suck IMO, replaced with excellent Harrison night sights.
    All I could EVER want in a defense pistol at a decent price (though a bit heavy for everyday carry). Accurate and reliable!!! Took me a lifetime of low and high end 1911s to get to this pistola. If I am going into a pistol fight - this is the gun I will be taking. YMMV

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well, It's on the way, maybe today or Thursday
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...p/#PC9105LCA18
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Well, It's on the way, maybe today or Thursday
    https://www.springfield-armory.com/p...p/#PC9105LCA18
    Congrats!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yeah, I was looking at two projects, a 1911 or a pistol/SBR in 6.5 G, match barrels, etc. This will be a better choice overall. Dump a couple things to fund that or the Sig Cross next year.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast