Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So, 1911 choice

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Excellent, thanks very much!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    dang my eyes are old, need to wear my glasses next time.
    I effing hate that. Thirty years ago I could hit the... Oh well. Embrace the suck. GOOD SHOOTING.

ETA: Let us know how the 185gr rounds work out. That's what I want to switch to. 180-185 gr has good stopping power with considerably less recoil. The only thing that pi$$es me off more than my aging eyes, is the soreness in my shooting hand due to a few hundred thousand rounds over the years. I've really toned it down the last few years. Glad I don't carry for a living anymore.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 12-28-19 at 11:03.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I had a period when I used 185+P JHPs.
    If memory serves I was running over 1200 FPS from a 5" gun (Thunder Ranch Baer).

The additional muzzle blast and recoil were- "objectionable".
    The "rapidly" part was missing from "rapidly and accurately".

Standard pressure 230 gr. HST's or GD's are very controllable in comparison to the +P 185's and have a decent "one shot stop" rating.
    I rather doubt I'll shoot just once anyhow.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I just plan to run the 185's for target, plinking, etc. Or even just doing 230 ball. Carry, if I do would be standard pressure.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yeah, I remember the days, watching brass get in the way of the crisp front sight, watching that and tracking it back into the target. Still do it but the sight looks a little different, reminds me of the issued .45 I had in the Army. That thing looked like a pat of melted butter, remember borrowing a nail file from a HQ girl to make it resemble a sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I effing hate that. Thirty years ago I could hit the... Oh well. Embrace the suck. GOOD SHOOTING.

ETA: Let us know how the 185gr rounds work out. That's what I want to switch to. 180-185 gr has good stopping power with considerably less recoil. The only thing that pi$$es me off more than my aging eyes, is the soreness in my shooting hand due to a few hundred thousand rounds over the years. I've really toned it down the last few years. Glad I don't carry for a living anymore.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Good intel on 180-185 gr. I wasn’t planning using +P, but sounds like I should stick with the tried and true ammo for carry.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I was doing some reading on the topic and the Nosler 185 JHP seems to be the bullet, apparently the USMC likes it. The Zero equivalent is supposed to be an equal. Have to double check the powder and OAL.

Article
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...-shooter/99418
    Great gun, congrats! When I was competing with 1911 .45’s, I always preferred 230gr JHP’s for big matches (Wilson KZ and Colt Rail Gun). Nosler makes a great bullet but they were always too pricey to run a lot. In order of accuracy preference on a budget, I ran:

Hornady XTP blems (when I could find them)

Montana Gold JHP

Zero JHP

Any of those will do you well with the right load.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    I have a few 1911s myself, 4 Colts (DE in 10mm, M45A1 and a SCG in .45 and a Series 80 in .45) I also have a Wilson CQB in .45 that I got used at 2K. I lucked out on the WC, finish was impeccable and I think it may have been a special order as the muzzle was recessed and polished. It has an FO front sight which I don’t care for so it will probably get swapped out. No luck with SA in 1911s for me. An old champion model I had was a jam master even after I sent it back to SA. I have heard great things about the TRP so the best of luck with your purchase.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s the 20s see? I’m gettin’ me a .38 Super, see? It’s a dandy of a cartridge, see? Go right through a copper’s lead vest, see? All the G-Men tote em around like cigars, see? Myah myah...

(I’ll probably get a 9mm)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    E. G.’d roll over in his grave to hear that.
    (The you’re getting a 9mm part)
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast