Thread: Front Squat Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sndt1319 View Post
    I went back to lifting to start prepping for the ACFT after recovering from a surgery (out and back into the theater). We don't have any trap bars here so I figured the squat and deadlift combo would be the way to go. I started with low weight and promptly threw my back out doing squats. I'm in a very low-density MOS so I'm the only person from my unit here. I don't have a battle for my workouts.
    See this excellent video from Dr. Jordon Feigenbaum's (Barbell Medicine) recent presentation on low back pain injury and preparing for the ACFT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9poXGU11ms

The short answer to the question of how best to prepare for the trap bar portion would be to do the same movements over a linear progression (increasing weight over time), with the same/similar equipment to prepare for the test. I realize that may not be possible in your situation. If it were me and I had to prepare without a trap bar I would low-bar squat and deadlift using the same form taught in the Starting Strength method. The main thing you want would want to learn is how to properly set your low back. Lots of videos on that. The cues a coach would use is "chest up" and "drop your belly between your thighs". You also want to make sure you're looking out about 4 to 6 feet in front of you.

Good luck on your test!
    Last edited by n517rv; 12-24-19 at 19:45.