Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Temporary work assignment outside the country, what to do with my suppressor?

Feedback Score
    Are you keeping your current house?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Put in small handgun safe, leave locked safe with trusted friend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Sometimes what the ATF doesn’t know won’t hurt them.
    THIS!! For f#$k's SAKE!!!

It's not like you're transferring illegally to another owner.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Do it the right way.

Put it in a safe deposit box, along with a copy of your paperwork.

Stay legal.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Do it the right way.

Put it in a safe deposit box, along with a copy of your paperwork.

Stay legal.
    You must be a hoot at parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    One other thing, apropos of nothing: Are you a member at CanadianGunNutz? There are a bunch of guys up there that might be able to help you find opportunities to keep in practice while you're away--they've been a godsend helping me with research building a C8A3 clone.
    I asked in the canadiangunnutz website and I wasn't able to get much information besides being directed to the government agency in charge of guns. As far as whats legal to own in Canada and the different tiers, that was the easy part. The law is also very clear if you are an American citizen going there on a hunting trip, an American passing through Canada on your way to Alaska or a Canadian citizen, my situation is a little bit different. I'm an American who is going there on a temporary assignment with no intention of ever becoming a Canadian citizen (1776 baby ). I've found that most countries that allow firearm ownership, the ownership of firearms only applies to their citizens, not guest or temporary residents. I'll have to contact an attorney if it's not too expensive.

There's 3 categories of guns in Canada.

1. Non-restricted- Rifles and shotguns over 18.5
    2. Restricted- ARs under 18.5 inches, handguns
    3. Prohibited- Machine guns, small hanguns

Rifles and semi-auto shotguns may only hold less 5 rounds or less. Pump action shotguns are exempt.
    Handguns may hold up to 10 rounds.

The only gun in my safe that is PC enough for Canada is my Benelli M4. Unfortunately, it has the full length tube instead of the 5 round tube. If I can get things sorted out I plan on getting a Mossberg 590 pump, cheap and exempt from the stupid capacity law.

I have not left yet and I already cannot wait to come back. There is no place like home, I'd rather be stuck living in a blue state than go to Canada but unfortunately that's not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by CAR-AR-M16 View Post
    Thanks for the resource!
    Last edited by Colt-45; 12-25-19 at 00:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Put in small handgun safe, leave locked safe with trusted friend.
    This is the correct answer.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    This is the correct answer.
    I would go with this or the Safety Deposit Box option.

Feedback Score
    Deleted.
    Last edited by .45fan; 01-06-20 at 19:34. Reason: Incorrect statement

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
    I asked in the canadiangunnutz website and I wasn't able to get much information besides being directed to the government agency in charge of guns. As far as whats legal to own in Canada and the different tiers, that was the easy part. The law is also very clear if you are an American citizen going there on a hunting trip, an American passing through Canada on your way to Alaska or a Canadian citizen, my situation is a little bit different. I'm an American who is going there on a temporary assignment with no intention of ever becoming a Canadian citizen (1776 baby ). I've found that most countries that allow firearm ownership, the ownership of firearms only applies to their citizens, not guest or temporary residents. I'll have to contact an attorney if it's not too expensive.

There's 3 categories of guns in Canada.

1. Non-restricted- Rifles and shotguns over 18.5
    2. Restricted- ARs under 18.5 inches, handguns
    3. Prohibited- Machine guns, small hanguns

Rifles and semi-auto shotguns may only hold less 5 rounds or less. Pump action shotguns are exempt.
    Handguns may hold up to 10 rounds.

The only gun in my safe that is PC enough for Canada is my Benelli M4. Unfortunately, it has the full length tube instead of the 5 round tube. If I can get things sorted out I plan on getting a Mossberg 590 pump, cheap and exempt from the stupid capacity law.

I have not left yet and I already cannot wait to come back. There is no place like home, I'd rather be stuck living in a blue state than go to Canada but unfortunately that's not an option.

Thanks for the resource!
    Depending on your length of stay (ie) your work permit duration?, it may just be easier to leave all your firearms in the US, if your going to be in Canada, on a work permit for 2 yrs, you could apply as a temporary resident for a Canadian Firearm license, or a PAL (possession & acquisition), this would enable you to purchase restricted and non restricted firearms , depending on what level of course you take? (ie) restricted and/or non restricted? , these courses require in class training, some "hands on" and a written test.

Once your a temporary resident you can join a "club/range" and use your restricted or non restricted.
    Suppressors are a prohibited device in Canada and are only available to LE/MIL.

With the recent election of the Liberal GOV, they have embarked on a "assault weapons" ban or "buy back" while this won't affect you, as it's about 2 yrs out, if? they can ever figure out the implementation or the law needed to enforce it.

BTW, as an "Ex Immigration" officer, make sure that the company provides you with all the necessary paper work and that you are "admissible" to Canada, if they are having a lawyer do that, make sure that you are properly briefed on your job, responsibilities, duties etc, as you will be examined when you apply for your work permit at the border, unless they are going through the Canadian consulate? Just to clarify, some offences in the US such as a DWI would make you "inadmissible" in Canada, and depending on the nature of your work , you would have to get a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), which would overcome the US "inadmissibility" and allow you to enter Canada to perform your work.

Good Luck and stay safe, while it's not America, don't get caught up in the politics, enjoy your stay and see as much of the country as you can. Cheers
    Last edited by mildot; 01-06-20 at 14:35.

Certified Colt, Glock, REM, Tikka, SIG & S&W Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast