Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Primary Arms optics approved for duty use

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Two Primary Arms optics approved for duty use

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ce-department/

The Pasadena Police dept of Houston, TX, approved these 2 Primary Arms sights for duty use:
    (1) 1x20 illum. prism sight with ACSS reticle
    (2) SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot Red Dot

This has come up in a few various threads in the last year, but I'll say it again: I don't think it's any longer the case that you have to spend in excess of $700-$800 for an RDS + mount, in order to get a reliable sight. A variety of folks from Travis Haley, to Kyle DeFoor, and others, have been running various RDS or LPV's from various companies including Vortex, Primary Arms, and Holosun. And starting to see a few departments adopting PA sights for duty use. For the guys running these, I'm not hearing them say things like "I only run this on range guns." Personally I can afford to get another Aimpoint if I wanted one, and I do like their reliability and long battery life, but those are no longer features unique to them only. I used to get only Aimpoint for red dots, but dissatisfaction with the red dot clarity on my T1's and T2's led me to look around last year, and was pleasantly surprised to find several optics that have as good or better features, improved dot clarity, lower cost, and good reliability. Currently I'm running the PA 1x20 prism sight with ACSS. That sight is the best 1x I've had and can get superior accuracy (partially due to the diopter which lets me adjust it for my vision, and partly due to the precision of the ACSS reticle design) with it as well as quick hits.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Not to disparage any of PA’s products, as I’ve never used one, but I wonder how much of this was do to budget restraints? My own organization authorizes SIG Romeos as a cheaper alternative to T1’s and T2’s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Not to disparage any of PA’s products, as I’ve never used one, but I wonder how much of this was do to budget restraints? My own organization authorizes SIG Romeos as a cheaper alternative to T1’s and T2’s.
    I think that is possible--hard to know, but would make sense. I think if there weren't known folks in the training industry using them, it would be less solid ground.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yuck. Just because they are approved doesn’t make it a prudent option.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    And I didn't say "Just because they approved it that makes it a prudent option." Along with the use of optics like these by trainers like Haley, DeFoor, Pannone, and others, this is an ADDED data point that basically, people are using these sights on serious usage rifles.

Feedback Score
    Might also want to keep in mind that Primary Arms is headquartered in Houston, so connections might also come into play.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Might also want to keep in mind that Primary Arms is headquartered in Houston, so connections might also come into play.
    Absolutely. That, and cost, similar to gunnerblue's point--could very well be factors in their decision. But I don't see those things as implying that these sights fail to meet a threshold of adequate reliability, just because they are lower cost. If that were the case, I could hardly believe that all these other trainers would run and recommend them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    PDs buy lots of bad patrol rifles and accessories all the time. I don't know anything about the items above, but PD approval for use carries less weight than an ARFcom thread.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    This. I refuse to buy Chinese products when I can avoid them.

I’ve bought Aimpoint PRO several times during sales for $350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Here's a video of Garand Thumb torture testing a PA 1x6, worth watching to see him drop test optic on rocks......while mounted on a SCAR H. I am kind of an optics snob, like the good stuff, but that ACSS reticle is sweet, just picked up a 1x6 Raptor for 300 blackout for $255 on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppOlhswG8o
    Last edited by mack7.62; 12-23-19 at 16:39.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast