Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Primary Arms optics approved for duty use

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I stopped buying the “I can’t afford Aimpoint/Trijicon so I bought a Holosun” bullshit a long time ago.

You all should too.

Most of these idiots have 5-10 budget rifles with budget optics and claim they can’t afford quality kit. Well, if you had just bought 1-2 rifles you could have some good KAC shit with quality optics, maybe even some NODs and a whole bunch of ammo.

Holosun is “unavoidable”? What does that even mean? Is Holosun invading your house? Are you unable to filter by Brand when purchasing new optics?

- Nightforce
    - Aimpoint
    - Schmidt and Bender

Done.
    So I guess you're saying that people running the recent PA/Holosun/Vortex RDS, including DeFoor, Haley, Pannone, et al, are all 'idiots'? And by extension, all of us too? Thanks, merry Christmas.

As in the OP, there are a lot of us who can afford--and actually do run and own--higher end quality optics. I have NF, Aimpoint, Leupold, Trijicon, and Vortex Razor on other rifles. So the motive for running these sights is not always or mainly cost, but (1) Features, and (2) Adequate tested reliability that we have no qualms running them on a defensive use rifle.

I get the concerns about buying stuff from China--I really do. In general, when I have an equivalent or better quality American product, I'll get that. In this case, vision was the limiting factor for me, and the PA prism sight was literally the best thing I've tried (regardless of price) that addressed my vision issues and the need for a 1x combat optic.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    It was said on this forum when it happened that it was a Holosun sight a few years ago.

He is SAS I guess.
    Nairobi terrorist attack 1 2019
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba04 View Post
    Which holosun you run on your pistol?
    It is the 400 series, I think 407. The 500 have features that only complicate for handguns. The thing is for pistols, nobody has figured out RDS that can take that slide beating and my buddies send their SRO...back all the time. Even the Trijicon... Mine is not a duty or HD pistol and there are back up irons so I don't care. I have had zero issues with fairly heavy use.

My rifles have NF, Aimpoint and ACOGs, so its not like a condone low end stuff. But for this application I seem to think appropriate.

Lastly, if you have 3 rifles that are 100% buttoned up and want to test the water, then so be it. I always say, you can buy cheap stuff that might run 100%, but the chances of it running 100% are less than Option A. You can get lucky.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-28-19 at 20:20.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I suppose the problems with RDS on pistols is the origin of this:
    https://algdefense.com/accessories/g...ond-mount.html

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Jack Weigand came out with these for 1911 “race guns” in the late ‘80’s/early ‘90’s.

https://www.jackweigand.com/sm3.html
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You want to roll with Chinese optics on a go to rifle?

Knock yourself out, but don't get a$$hurt if not everyone agrees with you.

Sure, a number of trainers are shooting with them - in training as far as I know, so if it shit who cares.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ce-department/

The Pasadena Police dept of Houston, TX, approved these 2 Primary Arms sights for duty use:
    (1) 1x20 illum. prism sight with ACSS reticle
    (2) SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot Red Dot

This has come up in a few various threads in the last year, but I'll say it again: I don't think it's any longer the case that you have to spend in excess of $700-$800 for an RDS + mount, in order to get a reliable sight. A variety of folks from Travis Haley, to Kyle DeFoor, and others, have been running various RDS or LPV's from various companies including Vortex, Primary Arms, and Holosun. And starting to see a few departments adopting PA sights for duty use. For the guys running these, I'm not hearing them say things like "I only run this on range guns." Personally I can afford to get another Aimpoint if I wanted one, and I do like their reliability and long battery life, but those are no longer features unique to them only. I used to get only Aimpoint for red dots, but dissatisfaction with the red dot clarity on my T1's and T2's led me to look around last year, and was pleasantly surprised to find several optics that have as good or better features, improved dot clarity, lower cost, and good reliability. Currently I'm running the PA 1x20 prism sight with ACSS. That sight is the best 1x I've had and can get superior accuracy (partially due to the diopter which lets me adjust it for my vision, and partly due to the precision of the ACSS reticle design) with it as well as quick hits.

Current production prism optics are very durable; the Cyclops included.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    You want to roll with Chinese optics on a go to rifle?

Knock yourself out, but don't get a$$hurt if not everyone agrees with you.

Sure, a number of trainers are shooting with them - in training as far as I know, so if it shit who cares.
    Yeah that's right, some of the top trainers in the country are running tactical training classes, and posting publicly about running these sights on their rifles, knowing they are not reliable enough to recommend to their students, but they don't care.

Gonna call bullshit on that. We have public comments like the one below by DeFoor about the PA LPV optics, to the contrary.

ETA: Fixed broked link:
    https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/red-do...5-kyle-defoor/

As far as low powered variable optic manufacturers, essentially I would say you have your “big four”, which are Vortex, Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce and Leupold. And then you have your “other” three…Kahles, Steiner and Primary Arms. But all of those guys make LPVs that are good.
    Last edited by maximus83; 12-30-19 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Yeah that's right, some of the top trainers in the country are running tactical training classes, and posting publicly about running these sights on their rifles, knowing they are not reliable enough to recommend to their students, but they don't care.

Gonna call bullshit on that. We have public comments like the one below by DeFoor about the PA LPV optics, to the contrary.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/red-do...5-kyle-defoor/

Your link is dead, maximus83. https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/best-l...expert-advice/ should work.

The quote in my link was from an interview in this link: https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/red-do...5-kyle-defoor/
    Last edited by CrashAxe; 12-30-19 at 06:07. Reason: Added links.

Feedback Score
    I am with mrgunsngear. It is like the MIM haters. It is a pointless argument. Sure I run two of the Cyclops and they are fantastic. I have an astigmatism, so red dots do not work for me.
    Either way, I am not going into combat with these. But I probably would.
    Fire in the Hole

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast