Thread: Yesterday I learned this about Aimpoint Micros

Feedback Score

Yesterday I learned this about Aimpoint Micros

I was showing a buddy my Aimpoint T2 and he looked at it closely and said, "Looks like your front lens is broken" and I grabbed it and said, "Where?" He said, "Look at how one edge of the lens is shoved in deeper at an angle than the other edge." And sure enough, it is! "Holy crap!" I thought.

Then, I contacted Aimpoint and they told me this was intentional as a way to reduce glare off the front lens from the perspective of a target from where you are aiming it.

Maybe everyone else knew this...but I thought I'd pass it along.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yes, MROs have the lens angled as well. It's slight but by design

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's VERY noticeable on the Micro and I was super relieved to find out it is not screwed up.

Feedback Score
    Every red dot sight made came defective like that. It's totally unacceptable.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Every red dot sight made came defective like that. It's totally unacceptable.
    Indeed.

On larger sights the angled glass is closer to the middle of the tube and a lot less noticeable, which is why you only hear people worried about the mini ones.

Feedback Score
    I received this fast and helpful response from AimpointUSA

The cant in the lens is by design.

The front lens on all Aimpoint sights have a slight cant to them. Think of the front lens as a mirror, and the LED as a flashlight. If you have one in one hand and the other in the other, you will need to put a very specific angle on the mirror to reflect the light from the flashlight strait back to your eye.

If the lens was in flush the reflection from the LED would be directed up into the wall of the tube, and you wouldn’t see a dot at all.

The T2 has a different geometry to the front lens. It is a radically different shape than we have ever used. This requires a more dramatic angle compared to the earlier generations of sights to get the correct reflection.

v/r

John

Feedback Score
    Every rds (not holographic) has this.

It will be sideways on sights with emitters on the side(some pa optics).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schootz View Post
    I was showing a buddy my Aimpoint T2 and he looked at it closely and said, "Looks like your front lens is broken" and I grabbed it and said, "Where?" He said, "Look at how one edge of the lens is shoved in deeper at an angle than the other edge." And sure enough, it is! "Holy crap!" I thought.

Then, I contacted Aimpoint and they told me this was intentional as a way to reduce glare off the front lens from the perspective of a target from where you are aiming it.

Maybe everyone else knew this...but I thought I'd pass it along.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Did you guys know red dot sights was invented when the guy was brushing his teeth in the morning?