Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It seems the long barrel 300 AAC is less popular than the short barrels

Feedback Score

It seems the long barrel 300 AAC is less popular than the short barrels

Been reading the threads here and my conclusion is very few people want a 300AAC in full up long barrel configuration.

The only thing I can conclude is everyone is running a can?

Is there something negative the long barrels produce I am not catching?

I had a deal a few years back for a 220 gr bullet mold with a set of 300 dies and I bought it just to get the mold and figure I might as well jump on a rifle.

I am in a unique situation here as to my knowledge no one around me has a 300 AAC.

I must be missing something obvious that turns folks off to the long barrels but I was just wondering.

Feedback Score
    Short barrels are more tacticool. 300 blk (or AAC) doesn't need much barrel to reach its max potential. Nothing wrong with a longer barrel if that's what you want or need to run, but you'll have 6 or 8 inches of extra barrel with a 300; especially if running sub sonic.

Feedback Score
    Understand that. For me it would require a DOT or a scope as I would never be able to see the sights haha.

Feedback Score
    300 blk was designed for a 9" barrel.

So you dont gain much by going 16".

And since braces are so popular, there no need to go to 16", just extra weight .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    300 blk was designed for a 9" barrel.

So you dont gain much by going 16".

And since braces are so popular, there no need to go to 16", just extra weight .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    16” still works if you are running supersonic....as good as if not better than 7.62x39.

Feedback Score
    I really don't see the point of 300 Blackout if you're not wanting to suppress. Of course there doesn't have to be a point if you're just wanting to do something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shoot it both sub and super with a can...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No tacticool for me...I have a short barrel on my 300 so when I put the can on it, it is the length of my 16” uppers.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Was looking around and someone suggested a Ruger American in 300 AAC/Blackout so I looked it up and sure enough they make one with a 10 round mag, 16" barrel and 36" OAL which is same length as M1 Carbine,
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/rug...t-action-rifle

It is about half the price of a AR and doesn't have that look that the press screams is a assault rifle.

Has a threaded muzzle so I can make an adaptor for a AR15 bipod for it or clamp on a Harris bipod adaptor.

Gotta admit it doesn't look threatening haha.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't own 300BO, but my guess/reason is Velocity is not the name of the game. So longer barrels serve no purpose. Sub sonic low velocity is the name of the game. Supersonic is largely worthless IMHO, because if I want supersonic, many other rounds are far better to shoot.

I don't own one because if I wanted the silent killing CQB, my MP5 with 147's or MPX would fill that void I will never need.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast