Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It seems the long barrel 300 AAC is less popular than the short barrels

Feedback Score
    Yep the MP5 will do just fine with 147s.

I just called a dealer I know and he is going to call distributors tomorrow and see if he can get me one. Apparently they take 20 rd AR mags? He told me one of the big box stores were selling them with scopes for 359.00 a couple months ago. I can't find one of them now.

I cruised around my QuickLoad program this afternoon and found out I can get over 1800 fps with 173 grain bullets from a 16" barrel which I will try along with reducing it down to around 1100 fps to make it subsonic.

He told me something that was shocking and he said gun sales are down across the country and the biggest distributor in SC went belly up two years ago.

Christmas day +1, made a interesting discovery the Ruger American 300 AAC will take AR mags. It comes with a ten round and I have a 5 rd for my 7615 which should work and of course I have 20 rd AR mags.

I will probably cut an inch off the buttstock to make it short enough for me. Might be able to just remove buttpad as it seems quite thick and replace it with a steel plate as obviously it doesn't need a recoil pad.

I have a ammo test plate that I will be utilizing to evaluate how much energy it delivers at different ranges.
    Last edited by Humpy70; 12-26-19 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    In addition to my 8” AR pistol I run .300bo thru a 16” AR, a Ruger Ranch bolt action (AR mag version) and a Mini 14.

I shoot 7.62x39 thru several ARs and other platforms and while cheap steel case is fun, in order to get close to the accuracy of .300bo I have to spend as much if not more per round. I shoot way more supersonic .300bo than 5.56 these days.

BTW Barnaul announced they’re importing steel cased .300bo to the U.S. soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    and doesn't have that look that the press screams is a assault rifle.
    What the press thinks of how a gun looks actually enters in to your purchasing decision?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The 300 Blackout is a way more versatile round than it gets credit for, pigeon holing it as only useful subsonic suppressed is missing the big picture. A 8-9" firing supers makes a fine PDW out to 300 or so, a 12.5" does the same out to 5-600. The right BDC and learning your drop makes all the difference in the world.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I really don't see the point of 300 Blackout if you're not wanting to suppress. Of course there doesn't have to be a point if you're just wanting to do something.
    Because the Blackout was designed for the short barrel, it doesn't give up a lot of power like the 5.56 does in that configuration. I shoot the supersonic 110 gr Barnes VorTX out of my 11.3" SBR for home defense. Still have the small package, but a little more oomph.

That said, ammo costs for somebody who doesn't reload prevents it from becoming my go everywhere gun. That falls to the 10.3" 5.56 pistol. It gives up a little oomph, but is good enough for most things, and the ammo for it is much less expensive.

Seeing as how no military ever picked it up, the .300 will probably always be a niche gun.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-28-19 at 16:04.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    300 blk was designed for a 9" barrel.

So you dont gain much by going 16".

And since braces are so popular, there no need to go to 16", just extra weight .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The data doesn't seem to support that supposition.

Feedback Score
    For me, the .300bk was always about shooting subsonics suppressed. I have shot a few supers but I mostly have stuck with the subsonic rounds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12