Thread: older Rem 870P Cylinder Bore

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

older Rem 870P Cylinder Bore

Some years ago, I purchased a trade in Rem 870P that appeared to have been hardly used.

I decided to bring it out to a recent police academy shotgun training/qual and much to my disappointment the pattern with low recoil buckshot was not as tight from 15 yards as a newer 870P.

I had one of the pellets just go outside the paper scoring area.

I discovered my 870P barrel is marked "CYL" where as the newer 870P barrel is marked with an Improved CYL.

I want to "choke" my muzzle to "IC".

suggestions on defensive use chokes and who to send my barrel to for this modification.

thanks in advance

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 12-26-19 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What ammo were you using? I have patterned all my 870's with various loads. The one that seems to consistently have the tightest patterns is the Federal Flite Control 8-pellet 00 Buck load. The SKU is LE13300.

A lot of times I see a flyer just as you describe with a 9-pellet load. The way the pellet's stack in the 8-pellet hull reduce impacts in the shot column. Also, Federal uses copper-plated buckshot, with a higher antimony content mixed with the lead. That helps it maintain a more consistent spherical profile, and it keeps a more uniform pattern as a result.

Also, they recommend you use it in a cylinder bore shotgun. The wad actually works a lot better in one.

If you are really wanting to choke your barrel, Briley in Houston are the go-to folks. I'd really encourage you to pattern it with the LE13300 shells first, if you have not already done that.

Hope that helps, let me know how it works out.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I was lecturing and my partner shot it

We have access to two brands.... it was either

Speer Lawman 8 pellet
    Fed Tac Flite Control 9 pellet

IIRC one pellet drifted high missing the neck/trap portion of the target less than an inch from the scoring area.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The federal is some of the tightest buckshot you can buy. It sounds like you are issued ammo, so with those choices you will have to change your choke. Either buy an IC barrel, not too expensive if you sell your old one or you can have screw in chokes added to your old one, more expensive but more versatile too.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I spoke to my friend who said it was non Flite Control buckshot.

So it was Speer Lawman 2.75 buckshot.

I forgot about Briley. I prefer the option to be versatile.

Thanks. This is academy Ammo for firearms qualification (cadets). Once I get it choked, I will test.

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    I spoke to my friend who said it was non Flite Control buckshot.

So it was Speer Lawman 2.75 buckshot.

I forgot about Briley. I prefer the option to be versatile.

Thanks. This is academy Ammo for firearms qualification (cadets). Once I get it choked, I will test.

Thanks again
    From the looks of you picture that is a heavy wall barrel, so you should be able to choke it.

As someone else said, the FC works well out of cylinder bore. We actually increased the difficulty of our shotgun qual course because the Federal LE132 00 patterned so tightly.

As far as 132 00 (9 pellet) vs 133 00 (8 pellet) I prefer the nine because with the eight pellet you are loosing one wound channel and 53.8 grains worth of kinetic energy. The FC wad patterns tightly enough with 9 pellet that if you are within 20 yards and worried about pattern spread, you should be using slugs. JMO.

BTW, I don't know how much it is going to cost to have someone do the work, but I'd think about keeping the original barrel and buying another. I have 21 inch 'turkey' barrels on the 870's in my safe (12 and 20 gauge) and keep all my other barrels in neat little sleeves my wife made. $198.00 from these guys: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F240333

If 21 inches is too long for your tastes, this is another alternative, 18.5 inches for $166.00: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005266651

Or if you are into ebay, $139.00: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLSONS-BA...EAAOSwYsBbs5fB

Another option is head to the used barrel rack at the LGS.

YMMV, but I like having an assortment of uppers for my AR's and barrels for my 870's.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    A+ 26 Inf

all good info. I think I am going to retest with the shells available to me and see what direction I need to go from there.

thanks for taking the time to provide me many choices.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    From the looks of you picture that is a heavy wall barrel, so you should be able to choke it.

As someone else said, the FC works well out of cylinder bore. We actually increased the difficulty of our shotgun qual course because the Federal LE132 00 patterned so tightly.

As far as 132 00 (9 pellet) vs 133 00 (8 pellet) I prefer the nine because with the eight pellet you are loosing one wound channel and 53.8 grains worth of kinetic energy. The FC wad patterns tightly enough with 9 pellet that if you are within 20 yards and worried about pattern spread, you should be using slugs. JMO.

BTW, I don't know how much it is going to cost to have someone do the work, but I'd think about keeping the original barrel and buying another. I have 21 inch 'turkey' barrels on the 870's in my safe (12 and 20 gauge) and keep all my other barrels in neat little sleeves my wife made. $198.00 from these guys: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F240333

If 21 inches is too long for your tastes, this is another alternative, 18.5 inches for $166.00: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005266651

Or if you are into ebay, $139.00: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLSONS-BA...EAAOSwYsBbs5fB

Another option is head to the used barrel rack at the LGS.

YMMV, but I like having an assortment of uppers for my AR's and barrels for my 870's.
    Yup, it has taken a while, but I have found some decent used barrels off eBay as well.