Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Aimpoint pro. I regret buying the mro.
    Quoted to ensure I see the response.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ---
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The trijicon mro never suited my eyes. The one I have is a year old and red dot. My astigmatism made the dot look like a comet. It was bad enough that I had to visualize the dot through the back up sight to make it useable. Once I began visualizing the dot through the back up iron sight, the parallax shift became profound. A six inch shift at 100 yards was not acceptable. So, I dumped the factory lower 1/3 mount and went with an absolute cowitness mount. Fixed the parallax problem.

The aim point pro is larger, the mount that it ships with sucks, but the adjustable dot is much better with more useful settings. My eyes like the aim point dot better. I wish I had 2 aimpoint pros instead of the trijicon.
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 12-27-19 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My brother is the weapons instructor for Washington state PD. They are transitioning away from the mro because of the parallax shift. He was not surprised by my experience with parallax shift. I have not detected a parallax shift with the aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LewWallace View Post
    I apologize, I should have said that I had the first gen MRO and frankly, did not like it. Tinting and fisheye. I've been a lifelong Aimpoint user, but...I've since downsized my guns and optics and now am looking simply for a good options for an RDS on my Colt AR.
    I had an early one that had fisheye. They updated for me but still was there. Last week I played with a friends new one and It’s still there. Very slight but enough for me to have issues shooting it with both eyes open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had 2 Mro's, a first gen and second gen. I sold both. Like others have said, fish eye, image shift, and slight magnification. Go with the Aimpoint PRO, now, don't think about it anymore.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Edited - I just read your second post. If you didn't like the MRO before, there is probably no need to try it again. IMHO, the only disadvantages of the PRO are the weight and weird battery. A lot of people hate the QRP 2 mount as well, but the mount can always be changed.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-28-19 at 05:44.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Santa provided funds for a red dot. I have $400 and am looking at either the Trijicon MRO Green 2 MOA or the Aimpoint Pro. I can spend no more. I have found both, with mounts, for under $400, shipped, from an online retailer.

I find the Trijicon appealing because it is relatively compact and light weight and I like the Green dot. The Aimpoint Pro is an Aimpoint and is perhaps the best "budget" Aimpoint available. I am not an Operator or a professional. Just a guy who wants reliable gear and looking for a simple single red dot for my AR (a Colt).

My feeling is that Trijicon and Aimpoint have a well established product and are known for reliability.

Your thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
    Hopefully this helps:

Feedback Score
    I have had and used both. My first carbine had an MRO. I made my first hits at 300+ yards (first shot, too) with that rifle. If parallax was going to screw me over, it didn't, and the ding told me so. That carbine was sold in its entirety to my father. He has had no complaints, and has punched bug holes at 100-200 yards with it since he bought it from me. Boringly accurate.

My work rifle carried an Aimpoint PRO in the stock mount. It zeroed in a few rounds and was boringly accurate. The optic was later sold to a buddy for some quick cash, as my primary rifles wear a T2 or a Vortex 1-6.

The PRO has clearer glass, but isn't something to write home about. There's still some fish-eye, a bit of blue hue, and you're looking through a tube. At least it isn't a tube of chapstick like the T2. When I first got the optic, it ate batteries like a fat kid smashing snickers bars. I thought there was a loose connection issue that was draining the batteries, so I messed with the spring and housing a bit, and voila, the batteries started lasting the expected "essentially forever". The stock mount works just fine, but the whole enchilada is a bit of a pig. It's heavy, it's big, but it works and won't quit.

I was in love with the MRO. Maybe it's because it was my first optic on my first carbine that gave me my first hits... Who knows. But, getting behind the optic was stupid easy, setting myself up on target was lighting fast, and I loved loved loved the super wide viewing angle. The slight magnification that some folks piss and moan about was, to me, negligible to the point that I didn't notice it unless I looked for it. The glass is Trijicon clear, but it has a definite blue-green tint. The newer serial numbers work on the glass a bit, and the magnification issue is less, and with it, the parallax issues are mitigated some. The optic DID have some wacky parallax issues going on, and it was indeed sensitive to getting directly behind the dot. If you were off the principal axis, your shots went astray quickly. Overall, the optic was light, handy, easy to use, and accurate as any red dot can be. Had I kept the carbine that I sold to my father, the MRO would have been on my work gun and I wouldn't have thought twice about it, and likely would have preferred it if only because working guns are slung/held more than they are shot, and any way to shave ounces without losing capability comes in handy.

Keep in mind, however, that the PRO is not exactly forgiving of off-axis shooting, either. With either optic (and just generally), you'll need to train shooting from odd positions, especially at ranges long enough to let the parallax issues really show themselves. If you want a parallax free optic, get an Eotech.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 12-30-19 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    Santa provided funds for a red dot. I have $400 and am looking at either the Trijicon MRO Green 2 MOA or the Aimpoint Pro. I can spend no more. I have found both, with mounts, for under $400, shipped, from an online retailer.

I find the Trijicon appealing because it is relatively compact and light weight and I like the Green dot. The Aimpoint Pro is an Aimpoint and is perhaps the best "budget" Aimpoint available. I am not an Operator or a professional. Just a guy who wants reliable gear and looking for a simple single red dot for my AR (a Colt).

My feeling is that Trijicon and Aimpoint have a well established product and are known for reliability.

Your thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
    Both are great optics, the MRO green dot doesnÂ’t have the same battery life of the red one, green dots expend more energy from what I have read. But if youÂ’re one of those people who change the battery every birthday/Christmas/New Years youÂ’ll be okay. I like the MRO since itÂ’s a smaller size. The green ones shouldnÂ’t have the earlier MRO associated problems like blue tint or 1.05x magnification.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast