Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on "mouse gun"

Feedback Score

Need some advice on "mouse gun"

I'd like advice from LEOs or others with experience with street perps. Yes, for personal defense. I can shoot fairly well, but I'm looking for effectiveness I can carry. I'm not a police officer, so I won't be running towards gunfire with more firepower, rather heading the other way. Used to be my slogan, "I'll show them how fast an old guy can run." Knee issues and, I used to be younger, come into play. My main question is whether a .380acp pistol can do the job. I have a .45, but it can't fit a pocket without printing, especially in Summer weight clothing in FL; also, it doesn't help that there's a 7 in front of my age. Sure, when something is happening, one would like a 16" naval rifle, but they're too heavy. So, I'm thinking of getting something smaller, which I can pocket carry without printing, that in the unfortunate extreme can stop an attacker with proper shot placement. Not looking for heroics here, if I can get away I will. But, if trapped.... I'm thinking of less recoil for a follow up shot. I'm looking at things like the Ruger LCP II, Smith Bodyguard, even a PPK. I'd appreciate any experienced comments.
    Hurrah for The Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    I'd like advice from LEOs or others with experience with street perps. Yes, for personal defense. I can shoot fairly well, but I'm looking for effectiveness I can carry. I'm not a police officer, so I won't be running towards gunfire with more firepower, rather heading the other way. Used to be my slogan, "I'll show them how fast an old guy can run." Knee issues and, I used to be younger, come into play. My main question is whether a .380acp pistol can do the job. I have a .45, but it can't fit a pocket without printing, especially in Summer weight clothing in FL; also, it doesn't help that there's a 7 in front of my age. Sure, when something is happening, one would like a 16" naval rifle, but they're too heavy. So, I'm thinking of getting something smaller, which I can pocket carry without printing, that in the unfortunate extreme can stop an attacker with proper shot placement. Not looking for heroics here, if I can get away I will. But, if trapped.... I'm thinking of less recoil for a follow up shot. I'm looking at things like the Ruger LCP II, Smith Bodyguard, even a PPK. I'd appreciate any experienced comments.
    Wear baggy pants.

Get a Sig P365. 9mm. No bigger than most .380 guns. Stuff it in the pants pocket. 10+1in the gun, 15 more in the stick magazine in the other pocket.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 04-24-20 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    Carry a 9mm whenever possible over 380.
    There are a few options for tiny 9mm guns.
    If for sone reason you cant do it, carry a 380/38spcl.

Training will matter way more than gear, first hits tend to be a huge factor in gunfights, so practice getting good hits quickly (1.5s is a decent time for deep concealment).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you shot any of the smaller 9mm's? Before going all the way down to a .380 I'd recommend you try a G43, G43X, M&P Shield, or P365. If that's still too much, pick something smaller caliber you shoot well and can practice with.

I'm more concerned about reliability with some of the small .380 pistols than the .380 part. I don't know if it's the gun or the people who buy them but I've seen several with problems at the range.

Once you go below 9mm or .327 you won't get enough penetration with expansion, so it's best to stick with FMJ.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just finished packing up the Sig P238 for a comparison tomorrow with a friend's Beretta Tomcat (that he just bought). The Sig's got real sights, a decent single action trigger, and it's very pleasant to shoot. I do much better with the little Sig than is necessary, for a pocket pistol. I can't say any of these things about a friend's LCP that I've shot several times.

I've not shot a P938, but I've put enough hot handloads through the P238 to know that it would be completely controllable, and still comfortable for a full range session.

I handled a P365 around Christmas time, and I don't recall it being that much smaller than a Shield. I certainly don't consider the Shield a pocket pistol, unless pants are ridiculously baggy....never even looked into pocket holsters for it for this reason.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Considering the .380s are going to be small, and single stack, I’d offer up the Kahr PM9 as a rebuttal. It couldn’t be much larger than the other guns you’re looking at. Thin, light, and reliable (at least my Kahr P9 has been for 1000s of rounds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by REDinFL View Post
    Yes, they can work, and usually will.

Being able to shoot well, as always, is very important. This takes practice. Firing small .380s is not fun. A glove helps. If you can fire 30-50 rounds every few weeks that would be preferable to firing 100 rounds in one range trip.

If something like an LCP or S&W Bodyguard is your size limit it is what it is. None of the 9mm's will be small enough for you.

If you want more horsepower and can carry something the size of a small revolver I reccomend a Ruger LCR .327 magnum. You can fire .32 short, .32 S&W Long (pleasant and fun), .32 Magnum, .327 magnum, and some brands of .32 acp from it.

It holds 6 shots vs 5 with a .38.

For an auto I recommend the Kel-Tec P32 .32. It has much less recoil than a small .380. It holds 7+1 shots (10 rd Keltec mag available) and has a last shot hold open.

That gun you will enjoy shooting. Yes the sights are small and trigger long but light.
    The P32 weighs 10 oz loaded!

The only critical issue I've found with them is the mag release. It's very easy to get pressed while in your pocket.

I've had and fired a bunch of small pistols and revolvers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I just finished packing up the Sig P238 for a comparison tomorrow with a friend's Beretta Tomcat (that he just bought)...
    Sorry to hear that. I suggest he lose it. They have a poor rep but I bought one anyway. (2018) It took about 400-500 rounds to break in and get reliable but at some point the frame cracked. (Right where they always do) At around 800 rds the slide broke. (As in BROKE, not repairable)

Now the pile of parts sits in a ziplock until I find someone who wants the parts or bring it to a "gun buy" or something to recoupe what I can.

I have several Beretta's. The Tomcat is a bust. Go to the Beretta forum and check it out. Beretta MIGHT send him a new gun when the frame cracks, but only once.

I dont have faith they'll cover mine but I'll give them a call.

Feedback Score
    Among other things, I own the following.

Ruger LCP
    S&W Bodyguard
    Sig P365

99% of the time I carry the Bodyguard. It is extremely reliable, compact, accurate, and comfortable to carry.

Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast