Thread: 308 Ballistic Zero

Feedback Score

308 Ballistic Zero

I am NOT a professional shooter. But I need some advice. I have a .308 HOWA Model 1500 heavy barrel rifle.. I shoot Hornady 165gr SST. Scope has a elevation deadstop..scope sits on a 0 MOA base mount. At this moment it shoots 4" high @ 100 yards. 5 rounds will touch (when I take my time) Does anyone have an idea what would be my dead on zero be ? Any positive advice would be great. Or do you need more information ? Thank you all a lot.

Feedback Score

308 Ballistic Zero

Probably better responses in the bolt gun forum.

Is it 4” because you want it to be?

Need to know your load, muzzle velocity, and height above bore. Honestly, the best way is to go confirm for yourself because know two guns are the same and calculators can be wrong.

What scope do you have? There may be a problem with how it’s mounted or it may have a zero stop that needs adjusted.

Assuming 4” high at 100, 2825 muzzle velocity, and 1.75” mounting height, you’ll be approximately on for 300 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lsllc; 12-29-19 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    "I shoot Hornady 165gr SST."

No disrespect intended, but it appears to me you have not zeroed your scope. Do you know how to do that? And then, if you have, why have you chosen to use that particular ammunition in your rifle? How much experience do you have shooting a precision rifle? All things being equal if you are 4" above where you are aiming, you need to adjust your scope to zero it properly and if you have done that, then the problem is you. 100 yards is nothing in precision rifle world.
    Last edited by LewWallace; 12-29-19 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    At what distance do you want the rifle zeroed? You can use a ballistic calculator app to get you pretty damn close to your desired distance using 100 yrd shots, but you need the average bullet velocity from your barrel, bullet type, sight height and twist rate.
    What is it exactly that you’re wanting to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you have standard height scope rings and the scope body diameter is no larger than 30mm, your zero is roughly 300 yards.
    Train 2 Win