Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many guns do you train with?

Feedback Score

How many guns do you train with?

We're all limited by time and money.

I doubt many own 10 rifles, 10 shotguns, and 10 pistols and keep up a high proficiency with all of them.

So how many guns do you keep up your training and proficiency with?

What is a reasonable number a person who works can keep up with?

Obviously the more alike the guns are the better.

I have to admit I neglect rifle practice and focus on pistols.

I really just focus on my carry guns:

Beretta Cheetah, Ruger LCR, and Beretta Jetfire.

The Glock 19 makes it out occasionally but I don't enjoy shooting it.

What guns do you spend most of your training and practice on?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    We're all limited by time and money.

I doubt many own 10 rifles, 10 shotguns, and 10 pistols and keep up a high proficiency with all of them.

So how many guns do you keep up your training and proficiency with?

What is a reasonable number a person who works can keep up with?

Obviously the more alike the guns are the better.

I really just focus on my carry guns:

Beretta Cheetah, Ruger LCR, and Beretta Jetfire.

The Glock 19 makes it out occasionally but I don't enjoy shooting it.

What guns do you spend most of your training and practice on?
    For me, three pistols and a rifle.

The pistols are a Shield, Walther PPQ and G-19 with X-300. These are the only three I carry anymore and while different, all three share striker fired triggers and no external safeties. I have enough rounds downrange that I don't have to hunt for front sight index on target on the draw. My hands and eyes seem to know how and where to go regardless of grip angle and bore height.

The only rifle I train with is my pinned 14.5" Noveske/BCM AR. It's my go-to for any defensive rifle use, regardless of situation.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    G19 & G34 and basic DD AR with aimpoint. Simple.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Glock 19's and AR15's. Although I plan to have some fun in the near future switching my long gun focus from AR's to the Ruger PCC that my wife bought me 7 months ago.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    too many, no doubt

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've come to find that the marksmanship skills you develop as a pistol shooter transfer well to long guns and that the opposite is not necessarily true. Does that hold true in your experience?
    Last edited by William B.; 12-30-19 at 13:05.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    While I try to shoot most of mine pretty regularly, for "training" purposes, I tend to stick to the ones that would see the most use if push came to shove. For rifles, that's the SCARs and my DD Mk 18 pistol, and for pistols, it's the FNX 45 and Springfield 1911. The plus side of training with 5 different weapons is that the manual of arms and handling characteristics are relatively similar across the rifles, and the same goes for the pistols. The SCARs are of course very similar, with only the optic and caliber being different, and are similar enough to the AR platform to make transitioning to/from it relatively simple. For the pistols, both use Trijicon night sights, are carried safety on, and are the same caliber, so are handled in a very similar fashion.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    I've come to find that the marksmanship skills you develop as a pistol shooter transfer well to long guns and that the opposite is not necessarily true. Does that hold true in your experience?
    Well, shooting small pistols makes shooting bigger pistols seem easier / more accurate.

I think that extends to rifles, too.

However, I dont ask much of myself when firing a rifle, really.

For hunting, if I can shoot a five shot group under 6 inches at 200 M from a scoped rifle with a rest that's fine. That's the furthest I can see myself ever firing at a wild hog. More realistic range is 25-125 yds.

For self-defense with a rifle, it's more like 2-50 M with an RDS.

So, I prefer to focus on tactics, safety, and pistol work instead of rifle things.

I do a little weapon manipulation practice / dry fire with the rifle, shoot to confirm zero and reliability occasionally, and that's really it. I've had a couple rifle courses but I really prefer to spend time on pistols.

Put it this way, I have several times as much .25 and .32 as 5.56 ammo. 🤠

I'm in a lonely club of "people who have fired cases of both .25 acp and .32 acp". 😁
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-30-19 at 13:56.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Glocks and ARs. The ARs are all almost identical in controls and accessories aside from optics so training with one is similar to any of them. That’s the goal for the Glocks too, but they aren’t quite there yet. Either way, my carry gun gets shot far more than any other and it’ll stay that way until I have an identical one built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mostly my G19 and my 642; my duty/carry guns.

My AR doesn’t get as much use anymore. I shoot enough to maintain my skill level and stay sharp, but I’m not burning down targets like when I was in patrol or on SWAT. I’m stuck behind a desk now.

In my off time this fall, I’ve been shooting my new (to me) 336 and my bow, and I’m looking forward to making a big pile of .22 brass this year.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast