Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many guns do you train with?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    too many, no doubt

PB
    I, too, go the with department of the redundancy department philosophy.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    AR's, 1911/2011's and CZ P10's with regularity.
    Precision long gun is much more "iffy"/infrequent, due to proximity of range (ranch) being so far out.

Our "close" or home range (20 min. from home) has dufus rules re. the rifle range- thus "run and gun"/drills en masse are difficult.
    The AR9/PCC platform is allowed on the "fun" range where move and shoot/drills, are permissible.
    We get in a lot of 2-gun time with carry guns and AR9.

And like most here I assume, my guns are set up so similar that transition from pistol, or carbine, "A" to "B" is seamless.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anything that I carry. G17, 19, 43X and LCP 380.

It's really hard to train with rifles around here. You are limited to either a 25 yard indoor range where you just stand in a both and shoot or a longer outdoor range where you forced to shoot off a bench.

Only one indoor range allows to shoot from holster and the owner is the soup nazi. People get banned and kicked out for the most stupid things and he has no problems sending employees or going himself to confront customers
    Last edited by Arik; 12-31-19 at 08:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Outside of "collector's" pieces, I only own one pistol and one AR. I try to shoot my PPQ fairly regularly--at least one every few months, and my AR (frankenbuild) whenever I can--which is usually a little less frequently. I get a fair amount of practice with my duty guns: M&P 9, Colt AR, and Colt 9mm SMG; but that's pretty much tied to when I can do so at work.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Four:
    G19s
    Mp shield
    Ar15s
    M11/9

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I shoot my pistol once per year for qualification. (G22) ARs run year round. Bird guns aren't used for anything that is critical.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    I've come to find that the marksmanship skills you develop as a pistol shooter transfer well to long guns and that the opposite is not necessarily true. Does that hold true in your experience?
    This is generally true, pistol shooting supports rifle shooting. Not the other way around.

Feedback Score
    2 pistols > one I carry, one for home
    1 rifle > for either or

everything else is a toy but I also tend to buy multiples of the same format at least

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Glock 19; it’s my EDC, nightstand, and competition pistol. I standardized on Gen 5s with the factory Ameriglos.

My range time with ARs is limited and just for the enjoyment of shooting a rifle. I try to focus my efforts on pistol shooting, as I am more likely to use my carry gun than anything else.

Any other range time is usually with friends and family and is not training, but enjoyment of shooting.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Three, essentially.
    G43
    G19
    AR

I don’t train with the 43 as much as I should, but to be fair I almost always carry a G19 instead. I have a few different configurations with the G19 and AR, but I shoot them a good bit for both work, and relaxation. They are set up as close to possible to each other, excepting the one or two variables that “justify” their existence. For example my G19s have different sights, and one of them has a chopped grip, but they all wear the same backstraps, and have stock triggers and controls. My ARs differ mainly in barrel and handguard length, trigger and optic. Same sling, flashlight, grip, rail covers, selector, stock, etc on most. But I typically only shoot one, and occasionally cheat on it with another AR that has a specific purpose, like my recce, or a SBR/pistol, or an iron sight training gun. I do keep my mind open and sometimes try something different, like an A1 stock or new grip. If its what I want to stay with, I standardize.

I also shoot bone-stock M4s and M16s a few times a year, but its just enough to qual with and train others on. Nothing extensive, about 1% of my annual rifle round expenditure. When Soldiers or co-workers ask me what they should buy, I always steer them toward a near-clone of what they are issued, which is also what I have done, mostly. My most-shot AR and G19 are also personally-owned duty weapons.

I have several other guns that I don’t really “train” with, but occasionally shoot, like my lever and bolt guns, AKs, and revolvers. Well, to be honest, I almost never shoot those anymore. I also have several Berettas and Sig that I don’t shoot anymore because I’m back with Glocks (not by choice), and like most redheads or Latinas, they don’t forgive cheating.

When I used to shoot birds, I “trained” with my Benelli M2 anti-aircraft gun on the clays range nearly everyday when stateside and not in the woods or on TDY. Shotgunning is a deep rabbit-hole, and rewards monogamy.

I think that picking one pistol (type) and one rifle (type) and shooting the snot out of them is a better answer for proficiency than gun polygamy.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Glock 19; it’s my EDC, nightstand, and competition pistol. I standardized on Gen 5s
    Same, but Gen 4. One has an RMR, two have Ameriglos, and one is a beater with Sharpie’d sights.

Typing this, I’ve remembered that I also have a few Smiths and a 1911. Damn. I might be one of those “gun guys” that Euro and Firefly are always going on about. Ugh.
    Last edited by 1168; 01-01-20 at 21:31.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast