Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many guns do you train with?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    G22. Qualify once a year at the most.

ARs every weekend. Irons and Dot sights.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    The minimum amount possible.

J-Frame pocket carry, and the G45 and AK.

If I try switching a lot and I find myself trying to reach for the CH on the right side of an AR.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    This is EXACTLY why I standardized calibers (.45acp, 5.56) and weapon-type (1911, AR-15) after 9/11.

I have a couple of oddball pieces (Star Firestar M45, Taurus 605, Bren 805, Benelli M1 Super90 Tactical) - we all do. But I get them to the range a few times a years as well (MORE for the handguns, since I tend to CARRY them!).
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    I draw on what I used to do with Hi Powers in Israel and what a SAS Det 14 friend of mine did in N. Ireland back in the day.

We both independent of each other did the same thing with Hi Powers in high risk environment, we would put the pistol cocked and locked into a hard leather holster and take it off safe so it was draw and fire. Because to hit the old tiny safety was difficult.

So today I have Glocks which I only carry the 26 any more, Hi Powers and CZ P07/09 with CGW trigger work. I run them all the same, draw and fire.

So this makes training easy and uniform.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    We're all limited by time and money.

I doubt many own 10 rifles, 10 shotguns, and 10 pistols and keep up a high proficiency with all of them.

So how many guns do you keep up your training and proficiency with?

What is a reasonable number a person who works can keep up with?

Obviously the more alike the guns are the better.

I have to admit I neglect rifle practice and focus on pistols.

I really just focus on my carry guns:

Beretta Cheetah, Ruger LCR, and Beretta Jetfire.

The Glock 19 makes it out occasionally but I don't enjoy shooting it.

What guns do you spend most of your training and practice on?
    I usually go to the range twice a month. One hour per visit. Sometimes my wife will come with us, but usually its me and my son (12 yrs ). S&W MP15 22 LR and Taurus TX 22 are always with us. I will usually bring 2 more handguns. Usually I will bring Glock 48 and HK VP9SK, or Glock and SIG P320 X-Carry. Sometimes I will bring FNS 40, but even if that's the gun I keep under my mattress, I don't it shoot often. I try to keep the cost as low as possible.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The short answer is two. One Glock 17 and one AR for training purposes.

The long answer is I have two Glock 17s, one for training and one for carry, both setup the same. I have multiple ARs for different purposes, setup nearly identical. One for home defense that has been proven reliable, zero'd, cleaned and lubed properly. It gets shot once a year. I have another that I used for travel. It's an 11.5" AR pistol, law folder, and a Tailhook brace. I have another that is a dedicated training gun. It's shot a lot, cleaned a little. All are setup with Aimpoint Micro T1 or H1 optics, Arisaka lights, 2 point slings, and Geissele triggers. They don't all have the same rail/handguard, but the pressure switch is located in the same spot on the top rail for familiarity.

I don't subscribe to the one gun theory that a lot of people do. If that works for you, rock on but it's not for me. I've never met a carpenter who owned one hammer or a mechanic that owned one socket wrench.
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 07-26-20 at 10:38.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234