Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any updates on S&W Internal Locks?

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Any updates on S&W Internal Locks?

I have a .45 acp S&W revolver I’m considering switching to for edc. (Model 22)
    I still am considering “plugging” it and replacing the IL system. Any updates on issues with the IL system - especially in high recoil N frame systems (I’ll be shooting Buffalo Bore)? TIA

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve put hundreds of rounds through three X-frames with nary an issue concerning the IL. I wouldn’t sweat it.

As a general rule, I don’t like disabling or enabling anything on defensive guns that aren’t part of the design- i.e. S&W IL’s, thumb safeties on Glocks, etc.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve put hundreds of rounds through three X-frames with nary an issue concerning the IL. I wouldn’t sweat it.

As a general rule, I don’t like disabling or enabling anything on defensive guns that aren’t part of the design- i.e. S&W IL’s, thumb safeties on Glocks, etc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    yea, Ive never had an issue. Buy shoot enjoy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    My 340sc J-Frame locked itself at the range twice in the first two hundred rounds (about 10 years ago). I removed the flag shortly after that and about a year later saw a guy selling a plug on the S&W forum so I bought and installed that, no problems since.
    I personally will never own another S&W with the lock intact. It has zero to do with carrying or use of the gun so I'm all for removing them.

The internal lock removal can bite you if somebody uses the gun while you are storing it, otherwise show me where somebody has got in trouble.

Feedback Score
    My 340SC with magnum loads is about the nastiest kicking thing ever conceived. The lock has never misbehaved.
    That said, wouldn't mind taking it out...any idea who is peddling blocks for the key opening?
    Moon

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the input - exactly what I expected, both points of view:)
    From a self-defense perspective, the only logical point of view is for me to remove the IL and plug it. Again, thanks for the feedback.

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Im against them. I don't own one so no personal experience but I've read enough on them that it seems to be 50/50. Either nothing ever happened or it locks up within the first few boxes of ammo

Feedback Score
    I hate the lock and don't own any S&Ws with one. That said, confirmed instances of the lock engaging are few and far between, and generally are relegated to the early days of its arrival, especially in the lightweight Magnum Js; a few in the big bore Xs; and if I recall one famous well-documented instance in an L-frame.

In S&W world for some time now, you hear tons of complaints and arguments about the lock vis-a-vis aesthetics and politics, but it is rarer than rare to here one about unintentional engagement.

I don't doubt the few reports where it has happened, but it appears to be so uncommon as to be statistically insignificant for factoring into any decision making process beyond aesthetics or peace of mind.

Feedback Score
    Plugged mine a while ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast