Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn I got the .357 sig itch again

Feedback Score
    I carry 9mm, I am the champion of 9mm.

I know post FBI involvement on rating ammo, it all performs within 10% of each other regardless of caliber.

Having said that the .357sig to me is just cool.

I know how this will end, no .357sig fits my dream gun and I will stay with 9mm.

But it still would be cool.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with wanting to experiment on the exotic caliber and maybe a new gun.

I have shot a Sig 229 in .357 that is my friend's duty weapon (using his full house duty ammo). The muzzle blast and felt recoil was much sharper than the 9. It was not comfortable having to shoot on the line with his coworkers shooting those .357. It's pretty much like comparing the .38 special to the full house .357 magnum.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I had a 229 back around 00 when these were super hot. I even had some super spendy "pre-ban" 12 round mags. Great round....SUPER LOUD. Recoil wasn't so bad, I think it was all the racket that made it seem jumpy. If you want one get one don't let the 9mm hive mind stop you from having fun. Plus you can get .40 and 9mm conversion barrels and have you a gun that is virtually immune to the next ammo panic.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I had this idea of using a Glock 32 barrel (4 inch .357) in a Gen 3 Glock 27 and then carrying Underwood 65 gr ammo for a lightweight, low-ish recoil 1600 fps compact carry gun.

I got confident in the gun early and carried it a few times. (around 200 rds of FMJ and some 125 gr JHP's) Changed out the rear sight to adjust point of impact. Had a meth-head (zombie-type) encounter and thought I might have to use it.

Good thing I didn't because later practice proved the gun not reliable enough. FMJ or JHP. I never fired enough of the Underwood to prove them out because they were very expensive but they hadn't caused a stoppage before I gave up on the whole project.

I don't know why it wasn't very reliable. Glock gun, Glock barrel, Glock magazines. (Yes I tried .40 mags and .357 mags, different followers, etc)
    Maybe just a timing issue with the 4-inch barrel in the short slide? Shouldn't have mattered though. I used the same recoil spring because I'm pretty sure they were the same.

Like I said, I gave up on it. (Sold the gun, put the .40 barrel and rear sight back on it. It had never malfunctioned in factory configuration)
    Last edited by Ron3; 12-30-19 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Sig P226 .40 X-Caliber kit and it came with an additional .357 Sig barrel. Only shot it a couple times but I guess I kept it because I’m a hoarder.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It doesn't get any more classic than a Hi-Power. Find one in .40 (there's a bunch on Gunbroker) and buy a .357Sig barrel from KKM. I can't imagine a .357Sig with more soul than that.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    With the .357sig in the news from the church shooting, I got the itch to build a cool .357 sig.

I have a Glock 35 .357 sig, it is a Glock it has no soul.

So I am going to ask for ideas from every one.

Criteria it has to have at least a 15 round mag, and it has to have a cool factor.
    If you're going to go weird you might as well go all the way...

An early Israeli made CZ 75 in 41ae is calling your name! (Jericho?)

I started down the path in the late 70s are trying to duplicate 357 Magnum 4 inch barrel performance in automatics.

Hand loaded 38 Super to very close to 357 velocities in Commanders, then started down 41ae path with a drop-in barrel kit. But then 10 mm singlestacks got cheap and I picked up a Delta Elite and never looked back.

Actually handled a classic CZ 75 yesterday and what struck me was how heavy it was even relative to my lightweight Commanders. And even the alloy frame commanders are 6 ounces heavier then PPQ / p99s.

So I guess for 9 I'll stick to Walther Tupperware.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    I used to throw a 357 barrel in my G22 when we were deep in bear country. The 357 is a great woods gun. But for CCW, i think 9mm plus P will work just as good. plus its cheaper in 9mm, and cheaper means more training. Can never get enough training.

Feedback Score
    Training I do. I am blessed in that I get to train with employees that read like a who's who's of Tier 1 units.

But I still get this .357 bug every few years.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast