Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STI 2011 - DUO or other plate for RMR?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

STI 2011 - DUO or other plate for RMR?

I'm going to order another 2011 - likely a Stacatto C2 when they are available. I am unimpressed with how high the RMR rides on the factory DUO mount. I am considering having a Chambers RDSM plate or maybe a Trijicon mount fitted. Realistically, both the Trijicon and the Chambers will end up cheaper than the premium they charge for the DUO, but cost is overall not a concern. It looks like both the Chambers and Trijicon mounts are lower - the Chambers much so, but maybe with a less useful iron sight, which is minor to me.

I am likewise not very concerned with the possibility of STI not warrantying the gun.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    With any substantial "muscle memory" dedicated to presentations with a 1911/2011, the higher the Dot is perched on the slide, the more difficult it is to "groove in" the new muscle memory and find the Dot.

Assuming one is unconcerned with voiding factory warranty; get the sight as low as possible.
    Limiting factors with 1911/2011; height of bore in relation to hand (web of your hand is closer to bore axis with Glock/CZ P10 series as example), relatively narrow slide of 1911 requiring mounting plate, amount of "meat" from top of slide to firing pin channel.
    In a perfect world, the bottom of the RD screen would be even with top of slide. This isn't possible with current generation of micro Red Dots on the 1911/2011 platform.

There was a thread here earlier that mentioned the USMS requested the Stacatto P be set up so the Leupold DPP would bolt directly to the slide.
    This may be an option(?).

With the two examples shown (2011 DVC P and CZ P10c) you can clearly see the RD sits higher on the slide of the 2011, as well as the slide itself sitting higher in the web of your hand.

This seeming disadvantage can be (fairly easily) overcome with dedication to repetitive presentations, but certainly isn't ideal IMO.
    Given a choice, I'd mount the Dot as low as possible, irregardless of voiding warranty.

(Both optics below share the same "footprint". It is fairly an "apples to apples" comparison in that regard.)

Last edited by gaijin; 12-31-19 at 09:04.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    The Deltapoint Pro is simply not an option. I despise the switching on it and it inherently rides higher than an RMR. The large window and Leupold quality are its only pluses to me.

Here's the ride height of the Chambers RDSM:

To my eye it's substantially lower than the Stacatto P's RMR plate.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ It does look thinner than the STI plate.
    Perhaps just the photo; but it also looks to taper towards the muzzle?
    I seriously doubt Joe's plate sits lower in the slide than the STI. Again, the limiting factor is the firing pin tunnel.

And I do not disagree with your assessment of the DPP.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I’ve seen many people say the chambers mount is one of the best available for a 2011. I’m getting one put on mine sometime this year for my DVC Limited. He only allows two shops to do the milling for him, so that’s something to consider. Luckily for me the one shop is 45 minutes away from me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^ It does look thinner than the STI plate.
    Perhaps just the photo; but it also looks to taper towards the muzzle?
    I seriously doubt Joe's plate sits lower in the slide than the STI. Again, the limiting factor is the firing pin tunnel.

And I do not disagree with your assessment of the DPP.
    It sits considerably lower then the duo mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ Sure looks like it does. Appears to sit forward of the firing pin stop and must be right on top of the FP tunnel.
    Sure like to examine one in hand.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I believe there Trijicon plate also sits lower. I'm having trouble finding a good profile picture, but here is something:

Allegedly there is a "new" STI plate that is 30% thinner, but I'm guessing it still has to regulate with the same front sight, so you're stuck with really tall irons. Also undesirable.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Per STI the 4.4" Staccato P is now in production and the older 4.15" is now gone.

Guess it will be a C2 for me.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    BLUF: Chambers Custom Red Dot Sight Mount (RDSM) sits the lowest. The price difference between a DO vs irons only STI is more than the cost of the plate and install...

RDSM also is a plate system, unlike the Trijicon plate. So...you can swap to an ACRO or whatever other optic as plates become available.

I have a Chambers gun, the plate system is second to none. I absolutely hate the height of the STI DUO system. They chose to build a system around one mediocre optic, no go in my estimate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast