Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Psa uppers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I am amazed to read these threads. It is the same as the car analogy (why get a Porsche to get you to/from work when a Kia will do the same) or the tool analogy (why get Snap-On or Matco when you can get Harbor Freight/Northern Tool).

Most of the gun owners I know outside of here have never even heard of KAC, LMT, BCM, let alone know why they command a price premium. Most of them are lucky to shoot more than 200 rounds a year. Heck I work with a guy who was literally proud that he got a barrel off of E-Bay for $20. Some people just don’t want to spend big bucks on something they won’t use much and no matter what valid reasons you give them to “upgrade” it is not worth it to them. I will continue shooting my KAC, LMT, Colt, Aero (home builds), and my one DPMS (only upper and lower receiver...new LPK, RE, buffer, barrel, etc) with confidence.

Absolutely a lot of guys will shoot 100 rounds their first year of ownership and maybe 300 rounds in their lifetime of ownership of that particular rifle, and if they have one or two failures during that time they will excuse it for some reason. For these people, PSA makes a lot of sense. Why spend more money for something that you won't appreciate or use or care about?

One time I was shooting with a guy whose DPMS was his 'baby'. Then he came over to warn me about a Federal XM855 that had hard primers. He was getting failures to fire, 3 out of 5 of his last rounds were bad. So I took one of them and put it in my rifle. BANG. There are people like that everywhere. cheapness is a disease and they will do any possible mental gymnastics to convince themselves what they spent money on is just as good

Example of mental gymnastics: They will tell you PSA has several levels or tiers of quality, and if you buy their top level, you actually get something good, and will even admit the bottom level stuff probably isn't good. Then in their next breath they will explain how they know matter of factly their PSA barrel was made by FN therefore it is top tier awesome because it was made by FN for PSA and there is no way that FN could make two things to different standards. Like, wait, but...didn't you just? Ah nevermind.
    Last edited by Warp; 01-18-20 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    It's true that the high-end ARs offer better finishes, tighter tolerances, and a higher level of QC.

It's also true that a basic PSA Freedom carbine will go through a 5000-round torture test, and come out the other side still making empties at the cyclic rate, and shooting 2 moa.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    It's true that the high-end ARs offer better finishes, tighter tolerances, and a higher level of QC.

It's also true that a basic PSA Freedom carbine will go through a 5000-round torture test, and come out the other side still making empties at the cyclic rate, and shooting 2 moa.
    I would have to err on the side of caution. I wouldn't bet money that every rifle can pass a 5,000 round torture test.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What percentage of PSA carbines though? I don't doubt that any company can do that if they're choosing which gun to send to a YouTube reviewer. Entirely different story to be able to pick any and every random gun and that be true.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I don't think Rob's sample was hand picked. The trigger was a little hitchy at the start, then it smoothed out.

It's easy to speculate, we all do it. But the test was not speculation, it was very real.

It's pretty nice that a serviceable firearm such as a PSA, is affordable for darn near everyone.

Feedback Score
    I don't think Rob's sample was hand picked. The trigger was a little hitchy at the start, then it smoothed out.

It's easy to speculate, we all do it. But the test was not speculation, it was very real.

It's pretty nice that a serviceable firearm such as a PSA, is affordable for darn near everyone.
    They are serviceable when they are.
    The idea that companies slap $200+ on the price tag with no benefit is false.

You can take the risk, but dont act like it doesnt exist.

I bought a couple budget rifles/uppers. One showed issues immediately, the other took a few thousand rounds to show issues. I wont do it again, but if $ is more valuable than time, that route might make sense for you. To each his own, but we have to be honest about the risk.

QC is all risk mitigation.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-21-20 at 19:29.

Feedback Score

I've got stuff from Colt, BCM, Oly Arms, DPMS, PSA, Bushmaster.

Mine all works, no matter how it may be mixed/matched.

At the same time, I need to run a few hundred rounds through any of them before I consider them reliable. That would go for any of them, especially those built to the tighter tolerances.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What percentage of PSA carbines though? I don't doubt that any company can do that if they're choosing which gun to send to a YouTube reviewer. Entirely different story to be able to pick any and every random gun and that be true.
    I really believe that PSA has improved quality, design & QC in the past couple years. Gonna be HARD for them to overcome the negative press from years ago.
    If they made the next10,000 rifles perfectly, then one or two got out bad..it would STILL be "those damn PSA rifles SUCK"!.
    Ive never advocated they are top tier or anywhere close. But, unless you just happen to have a specific rifle with an issue, which theyll fix for free...THEY ARENT JUNK.
    I know a lot of of "owners" who fit the 100-300 round per life mold. Ive shot their guns, they worked. Mine, work.
    My 16" middy SS Freedom carbine had I believe 1610 rounds thru it from March to Sept last year. 100% flawless, accurate, locks back a a dozen different mag types, runs dirty & runs hot. Hell I dont know what else to ask it to do, especially for what I paid for it.
    Is there a "risk" involved with a less than top tier manufacturer? SURE. But, at least vet the rifle, and if issues come up, PSA will take care of it, more often than not. These rifles have a place. As truck/tractor/training/beater/back-up guns and for just blasting ammo to save wear on your go-to gun. They ARENT duty guns, or going to Iraq/AFGH. guns.
    I think that some of yall might be a tad perturbed that some of the lower cost rifles are dong what some of your much higher priced guns are doing.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    double post
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-21-20 at 21:00.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I really believe that PSA has improved quality, design & QC in the past couple years. Gonna be HARD for them to overcome the negative press from years ago.
    If they made the next10,000 rifles perfectly, then one or two got out bad..it would STILL be "those damn PSA rifles SUCK"!.
    Ive never advocated they are top tier or anywhere close. But, unless you just happen to have a specific rifle with an issue, which theyll fix for free...THEY ARENT JUNK.
    I know a lot of of "owners" who fit the 100-300 round per life mold. Ive shot their guns, they worked. Mine, work.
    My 16" middy SS Freedom carbine had I believe 1610 rounds thru it from March to Sept last year. 100% flawless, accurate, locks back a a dozen different mag types, runs dirty & runs hot. Hell I dont know what else to ask it to do, especially for what I paid for it.
    Is there a "risk" involved with a less than top tier manufacturer? SURE. But, at least vet the rifle, and if issues come up, PSA will take care of it, more often than not. These rifles have a place. As truck/tractor/training/beater/back-up guns and for just blasting ammo to save wear on your go-to gun. They ARENT duty guns, or going to Iraq/AFGH. guns.
    I think that some of yall might be a tad perturbed that some of the lower cost rifles are dong what some of your much higher priced guns are doing.
    I 100% agree. Mine made it to over 1,100 rounds this past weekend, the last 300 of which were steel. They can make a solid rifle, and it seems that they are more often than not. But to blatantly state that they function just as gud as is jumping the gun IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast