Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Psa uppers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Something is always going to slip through, question is on what scale, and, do they make it right?
    It happens. When you pay a premium, you should also be paying for increased quality control, not just parts. That's not always the case, but I highly doubt every rifle PSA is sending out the door goes through extensive checks to ensure parts are good. If they do, they sure have let a lot of parts slip.

And again, if we are talking ten times the rifles produced, you would expect ten times the 'issues' that's just simple math and logic.
    On a recent DC Machine (PSA) video, the rep stated that during the Obama era, they were producing 1,400 lowers a week and have more than doubled that recently. That increased number is why I believe we are seeing more issues. The problem is that there are many rifles out there that are never fired, sit in a safe, and only come out so the owner can show his buddies the cool black rifle he bought on sale.

And, if by verifying you mean making sure it works, I totally agree. Although I don't think you need to do 2,000 rounds to verify it.
    You do not need to shoot any rounds to verify it was assembled properly or fix anything that wasn't assembled correctly.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Just some data points. I have a good buddy that is a master gunsmith. He has an amazing shop with a stocked Snap-on tool collection along with all the gunsmithing tools you can think of. Because of this I often swing by the shop to use random tools I dont have. The #1 problem guns he sees are PSA. 300 blk uppers with gas ports from 120 to 80 that either can't cycle or the recoil and gas to the face is insane. 9mm uppers with feeding issues or cycling issues (how is that possible as 9mm is blowback?). Barrel nuts not tightened down all the way. All kinds of gas and cycling problems. BCG issues. Trigger issues. All that being said if he calls them up and sends it back they always make it right (not always on the first try). BUT I think the question is do you know enough to know there is an issue in the first place?

We both have a good buddy that got a deal on on of their premium 10.5 uppers. He started to swap out parts starting with the rail. The slope between the barrel and the upper reciver was the worst I have ever seen. Later he swapped the barrel for DD barrel. Again the upper reciver was very loose. I think at this point he has replaced every PSA part on it. Did it shoot before? Yes, around 3 moa. Would you bet your life? That's your call.

Feedback Score
    Purchased a light weight pencil upper for the wife in 2017 for range use. Put a brake on it to calm it down a bit for her, LaRue trigger and tossed on a RMR to keep things light. She's on her third case of M193. No hiccups.

Pardon the interruption. Carry on.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    It happens. When you pay a premium, you should also be paying for increased quality control, not just parts. That's not always the case, but I highly doubt every rifle PSA is sending out the door goes through extensive checks to ensure parts are good. If they do, they sure have let a lot of parts slip.

I think that SIONICS has the right idea, one armorer builds each rifle, and another QC's it. Other companies may follow this model, but SIONICS advertises that fact on their web page. Obviously, with the numbers you are talking about in the next parragraph, this would be difficult for PSA to do and maintain their price point.

On a recent DC Machine (PSA) video, the rep stated that during the Obama era, they were producing 1,400 lowers a week and have more than doubled that recently. That increased number is why I believe we are seeing more issues. The problem is that there are many rifles out there that are never fired, sit in a safe, and only come out so the owner can show his buddies the cool black rifle he bought on sale.

You do not need to shoot any rounds to verify it was assembled properly or fix anything that wasn't assembled correctly.
    Thanks for your response.

Really, the only thing you posted that I have issue with is your last point. I'm pretty sure I've inspected more firearms than most on here, simply because we did armorer service/inspections/function checks on any firearm used on our range. I'm not sure I can look at a BCG and determine if it is sealed enough to function, the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. I think the completed assembly needs to be function tested by firing to ensure no issues.

This is why I can't disagree with folks who pay more for the added security of the test fire that BCM does on their bolts.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The person building the product controls the quality. The person inspecting the work assures the quality.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had an AR( go back to them 4x's before they replaced the whole gun. The ramp on the bottom of the bolt looked like it was ground down with a bastard file. I was called all kinds of names on the other site saying I took a dremel to it. Well 3 bolts later and it was "fixed" They supposedly shot about 500 rounds through it as I told them I did not want it back if it shows any signs of wear.

Well it showed up at my house and the same chatter mark were stating to show again. Back it went again and this time they offered a new gun with an different maker of the lower and they through in their new drop in trigger.

A friend also ordered one of the same guns a month after I did. His was doing the same thing on the bolt. They just replaced the bolt and gave him a new trigger.

Both guns have been flawless since.

They changed the ramp design 2x's over this. I don't have the pics of the ramp anymore but these were the new Gen 4 bolts. But I would say they should be gen 6 as they changed them 2x as I said.

But I knew going in PSA can be problematic sometimes. As long as you are willing to work with them they will keep sending you a call tag to ship their guns back to them.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    With the accuracy issues BCM has been having I would look elsewhere, like Scionics.

Nothing wrong with PSA if you get the Premium. Yeah they've done some stupid stuff and the fanboys get butthurt but their chf bbls and premium bolt carrier groups are fine. Be sure to compare prices.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Just some data points. I have a good buddy that is a master gunsmith. He has an amazing shop with a stocked Snap-on tool collection along with all the gunsmithing tools you can think of. Because of this I often swing by the shop to use random tools I dont have. The #1 problem guns he sees are PSA. 300 blk uppers with gas ports from 120 to 80 that either can't cycle or the recoil and gas to the face is insane. 9mm uppers with feeding issues or cycling issues (how is that possible as 9mm is blowback?). Barrel nuts not tightened down all the way. All kinds of gas and cycling problems. BCG issues. Trigger issues. All that being said if he calls them up and sends it back they always make it right (not always on the first try). BUT I think the question is do you know enough to know there is an issue in the first place?

We both have a good buddy that got a deal on on of their premium 10.5 uppers. He started to swap out parts starting with the rail. The slope between the barrel and the upper reciver was the worst I have ever seen. Later he swapped the barrel for DD barrel. Again the upper reciver was very loose. I think at this point he has replaced every PSA part on it. Did it shoot before? Yes, around 3 moa. Would you bet your life? That's your call.
    3 moa is not great, but far from horrible. 3 moa is plenty enough accurate using ball ammo to kill at 200 yards and under.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    With the accuracy issues BCM has been having I would look elsewhere, like Scionics.

Nothing wrong with PSA if you get the Premium. Yeah they've done some stupid stuff and the fanboys get butthurt but their chf bbls and premium bolt carrier groups are fine. Be sure to compare prices.
    Yep, you are correct.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkracka View Post
    What?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast