Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Psa uppers

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If you do the math...

$439 - BCM upper
    <$100 - Toolcraft nitride BCG (or $125-160 for other good options)
    $55 - BCM or Radian Raptor charging handle

Why buy PSA?

You almost have enough to pick up a BCM blemished complete lower for $315.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMarine View Post
    I've got a few PSA uppers in 5.56 and 7.62x39. They all run just fine.

So they are maybe not as refined as the top-shelf uppers on the market, but they are about the same as what our military has used for decades.

If you go PSA, it would be a good thing to get the CHF upper, and Premium BCG, if your budget allows it. They are still very reasonable, and have chrome lining and o-ring extractors.

If you are looking for a serviceable, budget-friendly upper, buy PSA with confidence.
    Whole lot of nope here. Basic features, sure, they’re similar because they’re all basic. But they’re far from being about the same as our issues Colts and FNs. PSA’s consistency and QA/QC is known to be lacking at best, non-existent at worse. They make tons of guns that work, but they also make a much higher percentage of flawed guns and components than the better brands out there. I’ve been super happy that mine has right around 1k rounds through it without an issue, but the staking on the original BCG was super weak and I still expect it to fail at any point. My current one can shoot a 1” group at 50m while another one that I had was sitting at 3”.

PSAs are good if you truly can’t afford better, without saving for many more months. But that’s only their really cheap stuff and it should have the expectation of failure. Their CHF line is supposed to be better, but typically are so close in price to the actual good companies that it doesn’t make sense to buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Personally I’d pick the cheapest BCM upper I can find and put something like a Centurion or SOLGW BCG in it if I was truly tight on budget.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I know you mentioned putting together a lower or something, but unless you plan on using an A5 system, it’s hard to beat and Aero Precision complete lower sans stock for $151.99. And you can probably find cheaper somewhere like armorally.com or spicetac.com.

https://www.rainierarms.com/aero-precision-m4e1-carbine-complete-lower-receiver-w-a2-grip-no-stock-black/

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    BCM Blem Lower for $300 (Plus whatever your go to FFL charges.)

https://www.k-var.com/bcm-gunfighter...group-blk-blem

Or if you want to save a little up front and piece it together, this is a great deal.

Sionics guttless lower receiver. $160

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...ifle-zero.html

Then slap on whichever BCM/Colt/LMT/KAC/DD upper you want and you're set.

Honestly though, I'd bump up your budget to the $900-$1000 range if possible, it opens a lot of doors and you won't regret having purchased a higher quality rifle.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Whole lot of nope here. Basic features, sure, they’re similar because they’re all basic. But they’re far from being about the same as our issues Colts and FNs. PSA’s consistency and QA/QC is known to be lacking at best, non-existent at worse. They make tons of guns that work, but they also make a much higher percentage of flawed guns and components than the better brands out there. I’ve been super happy that mine has right around 1k rounds through it without an issue, but the staking on the original BCG was super weak and I still expect it to fail at any point. My current one can shoot a 1” group at 50m while another one that I had was sitting at 3”.

PSAs are good if you truly can’t afford better, without saving for many more months. But that’s only their really cheap stuff and it should have the expectation of failure. Their CHF line is supposed to be better, but typically are so close in price to the actual good companies that it doesn’t make sense to buy them.

Not to mention having an o-ring on the extractor spring is not a selling point, those o-rings were a stop gap used to make up for crappy springs. Use a Colt copper colored spring or the 5 coil from Sprinco and the o-ring is not needed.

I agree 100% with this summary.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    If you do the math...

$439 - BCM upper

Why buy PSA?

Don't forget hand guards and a rear sight.

IMO, a FSB upper would not be my first recommendation for what the OP has mentioned in his posts.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    $439 BCM upper with FSB
    $35 midlength handguards from BCM or takeoffs (quite possibly less)
    $49 Raptor charging handle @sunnystateoutdoors
    $90 Toolcraft nitride BCG @righttobear (I think)
    $162 Aero lower
    $35 stock

That’s $810. Doesn’t count shipping from Rainier or BCM. Not trying to race to the bottom here, but that’s bare minimum. I would imagine that a FSB should be on anyone’s single rifle, but that’s just me. A rear sight can run from $25 used to $40 somewhere on sale for Magpul MBUS, as I mentioned before.

Alternatively, if a free float handguard is needed to support night vision or a future LPVO purchase... Ballistic Advantage for $467.25 shipped is below with basic charging handle, phosphate BCG, and free shipping. Can’t speak to the entire quality, though I’d imagine it’s at least decent, and I’d purchase way before PSA. Add in $50 for a Magpul MBUS set from Palmetto State.

Last edited by JediGuy; 01-01-20 at 15:56.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    If you do the math...

$439 - BCM upper

Why buy PSA?

It just depends on the budget.

Your example is a nice way to roll, and runs $594, without handguards.

A complete PSA upper is a viable and serviceable option for $219.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...cg-and-ch.html

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The differences again would be assembly, specs, and QC. Nothing like a loose barrel nut to ruin your day...

If someone were looking to spend under $650 (and since the Colt OEM-2’s are long gone), I’d probably just point to a factory assembled M&P15. At least then you have a warranty on a complete rifle from a huge manufacturer.

I’m not knocking PSA altogether. My SBR lower is PSA, though it’s mostly VLTOR and Geissele at this point. In fact, I just purchased new springs and small parts from FCD which will make the only thing PSA the stripped lower itself. But still, a PSA lower isn’t the end of the world, in my mind.

But if we’re looking at where the explosions happen? I’d prefer that to not be PSA, unless it is an “extra” gun. I’d have no problem with one of their 10.5” CHF uppers. But not as my only carbine.
    Last edited by JediGuy; 01-01-20 at 16:24.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast