Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tactics vs Vehicle burglary at home

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    According to my awfully loose interpretation of Arizona law; I am allowed to use force in the protection of my property, and this gets ramped up to Lethal force in the presence of my home or vehicle. Basically the way I read it; If Im inside my house and someone is messing with my truck, a baseball bat is fair game if kept to the tibs, fibs and pelvis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    It doesn’t matter a bit how you interpret the law. The only thing that matters is how your local prosecuting attorney interprets the law.
    Aside from ethical concerns, the thing that always held me back from maximizing force within the law was the fact thatunlike the movies, folks don't forget that you broke their arm when you really didn't need to. From a purely practical perspective, I didn't feel the need to increase the number of people who might feel they owed me harm.

Likewise, just about any time you use force that damages to the extent of broken bones, you are going to prompt litigation.

I'm not going to risk my family's financial well-being to teach someone a lesson that they probably won't learn anything from.

JM .02
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Aside from ethical concerns, the thing that always held me back from maximizing force within the law was the fact thatunlike the movies, folks don't forget that you broke their arm when you really didn't need to. From a purely practical perspective, I didn't feel the need to increase the number of people who might feel they owed me harm.

Likewise, just about any time you use force that damages to the extent of broken bones, you are going to prompt litigation.

I'm not going to risk my family's financial well-being to teach someone a lesson that they probably won't learn anything from.

JM .02
    I applaud that, as I applaud your ethical concerns in the same context. I was addressing my puzzlement over people assuming that their interpretation of the law is going to be the same as the County Attorney who will be the one to decide whether or not to prosecute them for the way they decided to keep their car from being stolen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I applaud that, as I applaud your ethical concerns in the same context. I was addressing my puzzlement over people assuming that their interpretation of the law is going to be the same as the County Attorney who will be the one to decide whether or not to prosecute them for the way they decided to keep their car from being stolen.
    Sorry you misunderstood, I was trying to add another layer - you are absolutely correct.

Some county/district attorneys are pretty arbitrary in who they charge and for what.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Unless they come inside, i will only call the police.

Even if they do come inside, unless they come up stairs and break thru the locked bedroom door. I will only call.

If they make it thru both locked doors, i will be in a defensive position. They can have the truck and whats in it, they can have everything on the first floor and basement. they can have whats in the 2 spare bedrooms on the second floor. It can be replaced, but once they break down the bedroom door i will use deadly force.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123