Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are S&W M&Ps so cheap?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Why are S&W M&Ps so cheap?

Recently saw M&P Shield 9s for $199.

Glock 43s list for $449, and sell at that price.

What gives?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Was it a 1.0 or 2.0?
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    When the Shield 1.0’s had their price dropped, I assumed they wanted to move product to clear inventory and get a cheap M&P into peoples hands with the idea that if they liked the Shield, they may invest in more guns in the M&P lineup. Have to say it worked on me. An Apex’d 2.0 is nice shooting gun.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Also imho it's because a lot of smaller size conceal type weapons have hit the market recently, all with much better capacity than the M&P's. Sig P365, Glock 43x, and Springfield Hellcat, to name a few.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zirk208 View Post
    Was it a 1.0 or 2.0?
    I don’t know. I didn’t know there were two versions. I’ve never even shot an M&P.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smit...eldtm-9mm.html

That was $199 with a rebate a few weeks ago. You’d never ever ever see a Glock or VP9 or any other quality striker fired polymer pistol go for that cheap. Just wondering why no one is buying them.

Feedback Score
    I have three Shields. Two have over 5K rounds through them, the third around 3K, and it is a Performance Center version. All are 9MM’s. Shot them over several years. I typically carry a Shield in Summer months. None have ever had any issues including FTE or FTF with any ammo.

Mine all are the external safety 1.0 models because those are what my local Base Exchange sells. I don’t use the safety.

Triggers were gritty at first but cleaning, polishing, and dry fire helped. I recently bought a G43 and like it better, but not significantly, and as my daughter loved the little Glock, she now controls it. I’m back to carrying Shields or my G26/19’s for now, with no complaints.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I don’t know. I didn’t know there were two versions. I’ve never even shot an M&P.

That was $199 with a rebate a few weeks ago. You’d never ever ever see a Glock or VP9 or any other quality striker fired polymer pistol go for that cheap. Just wondering why no one is buying them.
    Thats a hellava deal for either a Gen 1 or 2.0. Mine is just a pleasure to shoot, and its the smallest gun that I can use. I cannot tell a difference in trigger between the 1 or 2. My trigger is great. At or over 1000 rnds, all either NATO 9mm fmj, or 124+p, never fired a standard pressure load yet. Shoots ragged holes at 10 yards.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    The challenge I have seen with the Shield is the slide release. I have coached a fair number of new female shooters who have difficulty operating it.

There are ways to use a locked elbow, body positioning etc to slingshot the slide. But there is a reason Smith came out with the EZ models, and it was not because they just like the alphabet.

I have a M&P 9mm full-size for a teaching gun. But I don't carry it simply because I have so many reps with other pistols. I would not be afraid to recommend a full size M&P to a new shooter as an economical first choice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

That looks like a 1.0 model. The 2.0's have some improved trigger parts/pieces, frame texture, and stiffer frame in places.
    -Colt 6920 w/Aimpoint PRO

Feedback Score
    When the 1.0s got cheap I bought a second one for my wife. Had mine several years and had the trigger worked over when I got it because it just sucked. Now it breaks just over 4 lbs and has a better reset. When I bought the wife's, her trigger is almost as nice as mine right out of the box so they are making them better than a few years ago. I honestly can't see paying the extra for the 2.0 with hers having as good a trigger as it does. Use the money saved on ammo. The Shields shoot better than my 9 Pro which is a very early version. New M&Ps are probably the best dollar value out there.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast